How low Can I go?

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
MadHattersInk
I am merely driving my van

How low Can I go?

Post by MadHattersInk »

I am new to this kind of site, being a noob things aren't clear how they work. ie: chain of command, how to post, what not to post?? general things that most everyone else knows but me... But, I am here for the same reason everyone else is.... I LOVE MY SAFARI! I was browsing Pictures of peoples rides here and was reading some of the forum pages and I must say... WICKED JOB ON ALL THE PROJECTS!!!! and I found a few of the ideas I will use FOR SURE... I have a 1997 GMC Safari SLX 4.3L v6, 3.23 RWD, with plans of dropping and making it go faster keeping the stock look... (A Creeper) I am thankful and appreciative of being welcomed by this site and that the powers that be for allowing me.

If any one has any suggestions or pointers in helping me along to making a rear end swap that is where I would love to start... will post pictures ASAP as I have done some modding and body work all ready thank you again..

"Mad"
Be good, or be "Mad."
But in my Van, I am "Dad!"

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: How low Can I go?

Post by MountainManJoe »

Welcome to the forum, Mad.

Looks like you already know how to post! I'll give ya some general pointers...

- Post in the right section. So your rear end question (aren't rear ends great?) should be in the rear axle section.
- Before you ask, search. Check the appropriate section, and use the search button to look for keywords, because chances are somebody already answered it. No use re-re-repeating stuff.
- Give people the info they need from you to answer your question. You could put the year of your van and other relevant info into your "signature' (see User Control Panel). If you're selling something, give the vitals: where, what, how much and ideally photos.
- Other than that, just try to keep it civil, use private message for (surprise) private matters, and someone will let you know if you do anything else wrong.

Last but not least, pics or it didn't happen. Have fun! :cheers:

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

We have had guys "C" notch the rear frame rails because to just flip the rear end increases the likelihood of the rear end hitting the frame and "Z" the front end to get it lower.Thing is that was all done on RWD's and I don't recall anyone doing that kind of radical mod on a AWD.

Welcome to ASV. :cheers:

The quickest way to go faster is a V8 swap.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome Mad! First off you posted in the right section so far! :muhaha: As for lowering your van there are a few sections you can look in. Look in the "Lowered/Slammed" or "Suspension" sections. If you want to swap the rear axle for a different model completely, look in the "Rear Axle" section. If you are just looking to do a flip of the rear axle, head to the "Suspension" section. Lastly, just have fun, keep it clean since we are a family site (we have an "Anything Goes" section), and if you don't know where to post something, put it in the "General Discussion" section and we'll move it to the right one for you.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
MadHattersInk

Post by MadHattersInk »

Thank you for the warm welcome, and advice. I will check out the areas suggested, and thank you for the info on the search bar, found a few things already...

Truth be told, Pictures don't lie....

"Mad"

Much Thanks....
Be good, or be "Mad."
But in my Van, I am "Dad!"