Driving lights installed

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
justice
I sleep in my van

Driving lights installed

Post by justice »

For those of you looking to replace the old broken driving lights in the lower air dam on your Strofaris, I found a near stock looking repacement at the local Oriellys. Made by Blazer (might also be found under the name Tigerey) I know they are availabel at Advance, Oriellys and Autozone. The part number is CW1073KB.

No pics during the install (camera was dead) but have some pics of the finished job.

I had a couple of issues during the install.
The jumper wire that goes between the two lights was too short so I had to extend it. I also could not get a good ground location with the (very)short ground wire for the illuminated switch and ended up running the wire all the way back down to where I grounded the lights themselves (bumper bracket). I was able to use the factory driving light mounts but I had to bend them back to fit the light in and drilled the mounting hole through the top of the bracket. I also had to drill an access hole in the firewall to get the wiring into the cab. The switch came in a small bracket meant to be mounted under the dash but i pulled it out of the bracket and mounted it right above the headlight switches.

I'm thinking about maybe redoing the wireing so that I can use them as DRLs by having them come on when i start the van. Anyway..on to the pics!

I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

very cool! .. thanks for the pm and... forget about my 2nd one about the wiring question.. LOL

just out of curiousity.. what is the replacement bulb # for those lights?
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Looks good Dow. I really like the switch location. It looks factory. =D> I'll post a pic of my new light's switch location. Worked out pretty well with no drilling or cutting. I picked up a set of led angel eyes driving/foglights (by Hella!!) \:D/
Last edited by trybe13 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

LJRacing91
I am merely driving my van

Post by LJRacing91 »

So very happy to see that van getting the TLC it so definitely deserved!

It looks great, I'm really glad to see you made use of that lower air dam, I specifically added that to add my own fog lights later on, haha.

My 89 looks relatively close to that one, although that one is in much better shape, the paint isn't original on the one I just bought, looks like somebody went Krylon on it.

Keep going, I love seeing the updates.

Just curious, what all did you end up replacing to get it back into good shape?
1995 Chevrolet Astro CL "W" 246k and counting
1993 GMC Safari SLE "Z" 261k and counting
2001 Chevrolet Express 2500HD 139k and counting
2003 Toyota Matrix XR 81k and counting

Topic author
justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

LJRacing91 wrote:So very happy to see that van getting the TLC it so definitely deserved!

It looks great, I'm really glad to see you made use of that lower air dam, I specifically added that to add my own fog lights later on, haha.

My 89 looks relatively close to that one, although that one is in much better shape, the paint isn't original on the one I just bought, looks like somebody went Krylon on it.

well, the motor and tranny seem pretty sound (it passed emissions last year with ease, did better than my 92 or 95). So since I have had it I have replaced the wheels (factory Chevy aluminum wheels that I took off my truck when i sold it) and put on new tires. New brakes all the way around. New fender and door from the junkyard. New evaporator core housing (from same junkyard van - having this installed was the most expensive work i have had done, but they also replaced the blower motor and pounded the inner fender out) I had the tranny flushed and a couple of the small fluid leaks fixed. Put a new radio in it and repaired the wiring harness, installed new speakers in the back doors and also installed new seats from a 2000 Astro. also just replaced the serpentine belt.

Its my daily driver right now until we can get the wifes 95 back.

its gonna need new shocks soon and i'm hoping to hurry up and get the roof rack off so i can sand and primer the roof.

Former
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

And here are my lights:

And here is the switch:

It tucked in there nicely. So I'm thinking the factory switch will be a great location to turn on my under body led kit I'm thinking about doing. \:D/
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

LJRacing91

Post by LJRacing91 »

justice wrote:
LJRacing91 wrote:So very happy to see that van getting the TLC it so definitely deserved!

well, the motor and tranny seem pretty sound (it passed emissions last year with ease, did better than my 92 or 95). So since I have had it I have replaced the wheels (factory Chevy aluminum wheels that I took off my truck when i sold it) and put on new tires. New brakes all the way around. New fender and door from the junkyard. New evaporator core housing (from same junkyard van - having this installed was the most expensive work i have had done, but they also replaced the blower motor and pounded the inner fender out) I had the tranny flushed and a couple of the small fluid leaks fixed. Put a new radio in it and repaired the wiring harness, installed new speakers in the back doors and also installed new seats from a 2000 Astro. also just replaced the serpentine belt.

Its my daily driver right now until we can get the wifes 95 back.

its gonna need new shocks soon and i'm hoping to hurry up and get the roof rack off so i can sand and primer the roof.
Sounds like it's been treated with lots of care. Very cool.

The 89 is going to need to be sanded and primered on the roof at some point, no roof rack and the van has missing paint and some surface rust on it.

It's in good shape and I do like it, but it's not the Safari, haha.

I've got to replace the inside door handle on the left rear door, and I'm planning on changing plugs/wires/cap/rotor, since it runs like the 95 did before I had that stuff changed.

I managed to get a rock thrown into the right headlight on the way home from Bay City, don't remember how expensive those solid lights are.

And new tires after an alignment. The tires on it now are iffy at best, with the exception of the full-size spare. Go figure.

Couple of pictures of it...

1995 Chevrolet Astro CL "W" 246k and counting
1993 GMC Safari SLE "Z" 261k and counting
2001 Chevrolet Express 2500HD 139k and counting
2003 Toyota Matrix XR 81k and counting

Topic author
justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

LJRacing91 wrote:I managed to get a rock thrown into the right headlight on the way home from Bay City, don't remember how expensive those solid lights are.
I have not had to replace the headlights on the 87 yet but I have put Sylvania Cool Blues on my 92 and 95 and i like them a lot. They are less than $20 each.

Former
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)