New member CO

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Digger
I am merely driving my van

New member CO

Post by Digger »

Just bought a 94 astro awd to play in the mountains with.

It needs new seats, or re upholstered and has some dents in various areas, I may or may not eventually deal with.

The steering wheel is off center when driving, alignment is good its just steering wheel if not center. not a big deal but kinda bugs me. how difficult would it be to fix this I wonder?

I am curious does anyone know what year models are compatible with my 94? for parts vehicles? especially for the seats.

Finally my van has about 200k miles on it, what kinda milages can I expect out of this engine?

thanks!

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: New member CO

Post by mdmead »

Welcome!

For seat upgrade/replacements, for sure anything from '95 back would fit. I'm guessing '96 to '05 too. I'm not an expert on seats, but overall these vans had very few changes during the entire run. (Big interior upgrade in '96, but I doubt it had much affect on seats. and I'd guess adapting for any change wouldn't be too difficult.) In general, interior parts from '95 and back should work for you.

To fix the steering wheel, you'll likely need to readjust both tie-rod ends. It is likely tie-rod end replacement and/or alignments have caused the wheel to be offset over the years.

Engines in these vans crap out around 190K. Pretty much like clockwork. No, I'm kidding! With proper care and feeding, many have gone over 300K. Pretty amazing, but the 4.3 is a reliable mill. (And with so many of them out there, used engines or even remanufactured engines are cheap and easy to come by.)

Welcome to ASV!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
Digger

Post by Digger »

awesome, thanks for answering all my ?'s. ill look into adjusting the tie rods. I wonder though If I plan to lift some day, I might should just wait til then to deal with that minor nuisance.

Trying to research and learn car audio. want to build a bad ass sound set up first, and change the seats, then I will lift :)

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

seats from any year should fit. at least the fronts will. That was one thing i did to all of my 1995 and older vans, was find a set of seats from a 96 and up (the newer the better) and they bolt right in and are much more comfortable. I would think that the newer back seats might just drop in a well.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Topic author
Digger

Post by Digger »

awsome I want new seats :) thanks.

back im not worried bout, thinking of gutting it and hercu lining it for easy clean out. really I wanted a cargo with rear air. :) and adding rear air to a cargo seemed way more complex than I wanted. so I found a 94 with double doors.

been tryingto find good build threads for either dynomat and/or rhino type liner in a astro, but my search skills suck