power window problems.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
smokinsiggy
I get chills without my van.

power window problems.

Post by smokinsiggy »

My 90 safari passenger side window is not working . First the switch from driver side to power passenger window fell apart. The window was slow for some time and figured it was time to replace. Did the bull crap job of replacing motor for $60 bucks out the door at Lordco and still doesn't work from passenger side switch. Would the broken switch on drivers door control cause this? The drivers window works real sweet as always ,knock on the old wood. Perhaps will try p/u a used switch and hope to fix problem. Had the meter on the switch and 12+volts on pink , nautta on blue , tan .

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Yes, the driver's side window switch will stop the passenger side power window from working. Well, let me qualify that a bit--on my 89 that's certainly the case and I believe that your 90 is no different. The power for the passenger side window motor runs through the switch on the driver's side.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
smokinsiggy
I get chills without my van.

Post by smokinsiggy »

Thanks for the advice Safarirob. Was just looking at a wire diagram from autozone and its much easier to interpret than my crappy manual. You are most likely correct that the driver side powers the passenger side motor from the switch according to the schematic. Tried the switch from the passenger side lock on the window switch and it works fine. Have power at the switch alright which still confuses me on W.T.F. Have no broken wires in door jam or in kicker panel , so the drivers switch being broken on passenger window side is probably the cause for not completing the circuit. Here is some real good advice that caused some real grief today "check your door handle pins" to assure there not loose, if they are be careful lining up the pin before tapping back in because theres a spring behind the handle that will drop out and what a pain to get back in. Had to remove the rivets from the mounting bracket and add bolts after struggling with the spring for a long time. Just about needed a brown paper bag to breathe in a few times. LOL