need electrical help please!

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

need electrical help please!

Post by markmitchinnh »

Ok I have a small purple wire that comes out of or goes into the ecm it is not the 02 sensor or the starter wire. I removed the ECM while following the wire and it goes into the larger of the two plugs same as the 02 wire , same color and size but my schematics do not show it at all. If anyone here knows what the other purple wire is for please tell me so I can fix it prior to installing the V8. Thank you, Mark This is an 89 Astro with 4.3 TBI , auto trans with AC and cruise control.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: need electrical help please!

Post by Kidhauler »

Check the wires on the o2 sensor in the exhaust if there are 3 wires then someone changed the sensor and put in a heated o2. They work better as the early vans ran the sensor a little cold and they fail alot. This could be why the wire doesn't appear on the schematic. If you only have one wire going into the o2 sensor then you still have the stock unit.

Just a guess but hope it helps good luck with the swap.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

wiring

Post by markmitchinnh »

good thought but I am the one who swapped it to a 3 wire 02 on this van.but thanks for your input. I am guessing since it does not show up on any of the sites it must be either for the cruise control, or maybe something to do with the ac since the van has front and rear ac. I will install my 350 and see if it codes.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012