Best way to level out my 04

Topic author
Vanboozin
I am smitten with my van

Best way to level out my 04

Post by Vanboozin »

I've had this van for a few weeks, it runs good and mpg is descent.
i put new tires on it the other day and the ride just got way better.
However the front end is alot lower to the ground than the rear ( which i don't care for).
i'm thinking i would like a 1-2" lift in the front but there are issues with my stock running boards.
the boards wrap up and into both front and rear whell wells ( although in the pics it looks like seperate pieces on the transition up into the wheel well its all one big u shaped piece).
and the brackets( 4 per side) which hold them on are screwed to both body and frame, so i can't just lift the body and keep the boards on there ( i dont think so anyways, maybe i can bend them as i lift ? )i just think it will look stupid lifted with boards, if i remove the boards all together ( which is what i would like to do) there will be moulding/trim missing from the fender wells. I wish i could just drop the stupid boards and be done with them.
I have no scrap yard where i live or else i would go searching for the trim i need and paint em up, get some 3m double sided and attach.
i really just want to level the van a little, but the front wells are stuffed with 225/70/16 and the rear still has tonnes of room to spare.
What a Pain in the ass these these boards are turning out to be, what was G.M. thinking ?
any suggestions ?

Last edited by Vanboozin on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Best way to level out my 04

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

First off, nice van. Second, try to resize the pics to about the 600x800 size or so.

I would leave the boards on there and disconnect them from the subframe. Then put in a 2" body lift to level it out. At that point you can re-attach the running boards. If you don't care for the look, you can see if you can locate the front fender piece if you want to remove the boards.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Vanboozin
I am smitten with my van

Post by Vanboozin »

Can't stand looking at this thing anymore the way it sits, ordered 2" pucks for the front along with bumper brackets and the ebrake relocate thingy. I'm gonna take your advise and disconnect the running board brackets from the subframe while i do it ( hope it works). Class 3 hitch went on today along with an oil change( switched to synthetic), brake pads all around including new rotors on the front, and a scanguage 2 installed. next up is tranny cooler and a look into the diff.
i don't even wanna think about how i'm gonna clean those rims up with the tires on there, i'm sure i'll get sick of looking at all that corrosion pretty fast though.

:guitar:

markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

why don't you just lower the rear with a leaf spring flip, I'm sure someone in this site has done it.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Flipping the leafs will net you over a 3" drop then the front will be too high.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy