High Roof / Poptop / Camper Conversion Info Thread - 2018

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
x92560
I am merely driving my van

High Roof / Poptop / Camper Conversion Info Thread - 2018

Post by x92560 »

I am interested in converting my Astro to either a high roof or poptop. I have done research and found that there probably are not any kits still in production. I am starting this thread for myself and others that want to or already have a high roof/pop top/camper AstroSafari so that information can be put together for future use. Please post any info/pictures you have. It will be a boon for future projects.

Topic author
x92560

Re: High Roof / Poptop / Camper Conversion Info Thread - 201

Post by x92560 »

I will start with the first post I guess. My goal is a complete 4x4 camper conversion. I think ideally I would like to have a pop top to keep at least some aerodynamics and to keep weight down. I have thought to look for a pop top at a junk yard. I would think a VW bus poptop would work but may be rare and spendy too. My guess is a junker pop top camper may work but I am not sure if it would fit so easily. If I go with a high roof and can't find an Astro specific high roof then I will need to find something close to make it fit. Any recommendations?

Snowgeek
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Snowgeek »

X92560 - you are headed down the right track! I have been lifted with pop top for about 6 years and did the np236 4x4 swap last year. I am happier now with my van than ever.

I will be honest that to date i have maybe seen one pop top built from scratch (with a top not intended to be an astro top). My colorado camper van top is from a mold that would be used for a conversion high top that has been worked into functioning as a poptop.... with not so special lift parts.

Herbie found a gtrv pop top on an older astro and moved the top to a newer van and arguably knows rhia stuff better than anyone.

I have been told it is very difficult to remove a high top but i still feel that if I was building a poptop on my own (rather than having ccv do it for me). That i would be starting with a good high top conversion van with cool conversion windows and possibally swivel seats and then removing the top and adding the lift system, bed panels, and tenting. I think the validity of this would really depend on where the original van was cut and what the shape of the top is.

I will be excited to chime in more as this thread develops and would be happy to post some pictures of the lift mech that ccv used. I am really limited on time to post these days but will do my best.
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

Snowgeek
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Snowgeek »

Found these out on the inter webs: the second of which is the one I mentioned seeing using a top from another vehicle.

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=88569

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit ... _interior/

Ryan
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here