2005 AWD camper conversion

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Yellowstone2Yukon
I am merely driving my van

2005 AWD camper conversion

Post by Yellowstone2Yukon »

I've spent the last few years traveling and only just settled down in the Pacific Northwest. Over my years of rambling from Utah to Alaska in everything from a 1995 Park Avenue to an F150 with a homemade plywood camper, I've come up with a lot of ideas about how exactly I'd like to travel and live in an expedition vehicle. Now that I have a house and appear to be staying in one place for a few years, I'm clearly in the perfect place to build that perfect expedition vehicle.

Got a 2005 AWD Astro cargo van. Interior already has a nice railed floor and sliding vault cabinet. Slowly putting together plans for a conversion and look forward to sharing my progress with you guys.
IMG_1480.jpg
IMG_1481.jpg

Snowgeek
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: 2005 AWD camper conversion

Post by Snowgeek »

:cheers: we will be excited to see it. I am always looking for storage ideas. I am relegated to having one bench seat since we have 2 small kids.

I stole the following idea from another user.... can't remember who but it really is a simple way to get some items elevated. In this picture you will see the white wire system. Since this time I have organized it with plastic bins that are labeled and secure them in with bungee cords:

Ryan
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Very clever interior storage

AP

Topic author
Yellowstone2Yukon

Post by Yellowstone2Yukon »

Snowgeek wrote::cheers: we will be excited to see it. I am always looking for storage ideas. I am relegated to having one bench seat since we have 2 small kids.

I stole the following idea from another user.... can't remember who but it really is a simple way to get some items elevated. In this picture you will see the white wire system. Since this time I have organized it with plastic bins that are labeled and secure them in with bungee cords:

Ryan
I like that setup, I might wind up putting it above the existing vault cabinet on the passenger side.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
I have attached 5/8" plywood to the rear sidewalks using the OEM heavy seat belt bolt location, use a jig saw to round the wood to fit contour of wheel well. Then I have drop leaf style folding shelf brackets supporting a 3/8" plywood shelf. The shelf is supported by telescopic metal table legs from Home Depot.

AP
2003 AWD 2" lift Astro

I will try to post photos