Hello from Mount Vernon, WA

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Ironhide
I am merely driving my van

Hello from Mount Vernon, WA

Post by Ironhide »

Hi guys, not really new just re-registered. Formerly know as MeTanVan. I have been working on my 2001 GMC Safari for the better part of 2 years. It took me about 8 months to find the AWD van with comparatively low miles, and good maintenance records.

So far I camperized the interior, installed 245 AH AGM battery pack, cTek D-250-S Dual and Smart pass charging system. Which charges the battery pack from the Alternator, and tandem 83 Watt Kiocera solar panels(166 Watts combined) Installed a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter.

Installed an Odyssey Extreme AGM Battery when the stock battery gave up(Love that battery!).
Removed the engine clutch fan, and installed twin 11" Spal electric fans, with Durale fan control kit from Summit racing.

Installed Trans cooler. Installed a 2" front hitch(providing attachment point for a portable winch set up that can be used front and back.

Flipped the rear 2" hitch for ground clearance. Modified the front grille to make room for accessories (Trans oil cooler and about to add a fan for that cooler, will be adding PA speaker, so far) Installed projector headlamp housings.

Thanks guys for the post on the 3 + 1 lift, it worked perfectly! Monroe shock package from E-bay.

ARB 8' x 8' Awning, with zip on room.

The future projects list include 30.5 tires on wrangler 17" wheels, with hubcentric spacers to the Jeep wheels, the backside of the spacers are machined to fit the van hubs. (working on refinishing wheels)

Running boards (Wife having a hard time getting in and out after the lift)

Chassis mounted fresh water tank. Possibly an auxiliary fuel tank.

Front and rear bumper modifications, and or replacement. Swing out spare tire carrier.

A 2 speed transfer case. Maybe a diesel swap. I really would like to have the extended range that a well done diesel swap could give me.

I also have my eye out for some sort of pop top.

I will be posting photos, sorry but I did not document everything I did.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Hello from Mount Vernon, WA

Post by mdmead »

Welcome (back)!

Since you didn't post any pics, I'm guessing you are just making all this up.... :poke:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
Ironhide

Post by Ironhide »

Yes, I am actually in Western State mental hospital suffering from delusions of building an expedition van. I faked taking my medication for about a week now, and managed to bribe one of the nurses to let me get on the computer so I could post this subject. It turns out that this is good therapy for me, and they might cut down on my medications. In the mean time I will be looking for photos of a GMC Safari that matches my delusions. :bounce: :yikes:

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Ironhide wrote:Yes, I am actually in Western State mental hospital suffering from delusions of building an expedition van. I faked taking my medication for about a week now, and managed to bribe one of the nurses to let me get on the computer so I could post this subject. It turns out that this is good therapy for me, and they might cut down on my medications. In the mean time I will be looking for photos of a GMC Safari that matches my delusions. :bounce: :yikes:
That's all right. I claim to be a Safari owner, but it's been in pieces for more than 10 years now... :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
Ironhide

Post by Ironhide »

OK guys, all kidding aside I did manage to transfer some pics to my computer. For some reason the pics did't upload from my phone. For all you non Washington members, Western State is the mental hospital in Lakewood, Wa.
Attachments
Here the rear seat is folded upright for passengers
Here the rear seat is folded upright for passengers
Shot of the deep cycle Odssey AGM Battery.
Shot of the deep cycle Odssey AGM Battery.
This is camperized interior with the rear seat folded down for the bed. Note cabinet, small sink and camper manual faucet.
This is camperized interior with the rear seat folded down for the bed. Note cabinet, small sink and camper manual faucet.
This is Ironhide
This is Ironhide
the rear hitch has been flipped, and is accessible through the rear bumper. It's a hassle to place the hitch pin right now, but like everthing else I am working on an improvement.
the rear hitch has been flipped, and is accessible through the rear bumper. It's a hassle to place the hitch pin right now, but like everthing else I am working on an improvement.

Topic author
Ironhide

Post by Ironhide »

....more photos
Attachments
IH15.jpg
I left the oem r/r interior panel in, and still store the jack and tools in the oem location. I added the cargo netting 1) to hold the bubble wrap insulation panels cut to fit all the windows, works great by the way. and 2) to add more storage.
I left the oem r/r interior panel in, and still store the jack and tools in the oem location. I added the cargo netting 1) to hold the bubble wrap insulation panels cut to fit all the windows, works great by the way. and 2) to add more storage.
Here's the rear bed box opened up. It is not hinged so that it can be opened from the opposite direction. Note I did not install a floor, but built on the carpet. The jury is still out on that decision.
Here's the rear bed box opened up. It is not hinged so that it can be opened from the opposite direction. Note I did not install a floor, but built on the carpet. The jury is still out on that decision.
A shot of the Electric fans. The aluminum fan shroud was a Youtube idea. It's made from 2 large baking sheets purchased for $11.00 a piece + tax. Check out on Youtube.
A shot of the Electric fans. The aluminum fan shroud was a Youtube idea. It's made from 2 large baking sheets purchased for $11.00 a piece + tax. Check out on Youtube.
Interior from the rear barn doors. the rear of the bed is used for storage. Note the water container which will be deleted when I add a under carriage mounted water tank, and 12 volt on demand pump. Still working on closing the rear of that cabinet
Interior from the rear barn doors. the rear of the bed is used for storage. Note the water container which will be deleted when I add a under carriage mounted water tank, and 12 volt on demand pump. Still working on closing the rear of that cabinet

Topic author
Ironhide

Post by Ironhide »

....PS the first photo in the last post is of the rear part counter top which opens up to storage in the l/r wheel well area. Thats all the time I have now, but stay tuned for more photos. :D

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

That's amazing! Great work.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Good ideas. The storage net is good idea.

My 2003 AWD with 2" lift has some stuff too.

You can install LED dome lights in your Astro.'
I also bolted 3/4" plywood to rear walls to mount accessories to side wall.
Plywood drop leaf shelf for sink and stove.
Igloo electric ice chest, now replaced with ARB fridge.

AP
Attachments
image.jpeg

Topic author
Ironhide

Post by Ironhide »

Thanks Astrolander, always admired your GTRV conversion. As you did, I am keeping my eye out for some kind of pop up top to install on Ironhide. I plan to continue to improve on this build as I am able. Really doing deep research on a diesel conversion and trying to narrow down the best engine for the best value.
Thanks Guys, I appreciate any and all input, good and bad.

Attached more photos today.
Attachments
This is the ctek 12v to 12v charging set up.
This is the ctek 12v to 12v charging set up.
Two 83 watt solar panels screwed together. Note the mounting inables easy maintenance, and tilting panels up for better angle to the sun.
Two 83 watt solar panels screwed together. Note the mounting inables easy maintenance, and tilting panels up for better angle to the sun.
7 AGM 35AH batteries fit perfectly under the seat.
7 AGM 35AH batteries fit perfectly under the seat.

Snowgeek
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Snowgeek »

I like it!

Yes, my wife wanted me to be institutionalized when I suggested selling my long run with 4x4 Toyotas to get an Astro mini van. Now she loves it and can't imagine life without it!

Ryan
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

Topic author
Ironhide

Post by Ironhide »

My wife loves it also. We've gone on a couple of a few trips so far, and the van has been so comfortable. I am getting ready to do some overlanding next summer.