Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Bought yesterday

Post by 1Gary »

I bought new a Miller 211 welder

A Miller Elite blue flamed helmet

The largest tank you can get.Not a lease but bought it outright.

The largest spool of .023 wire

A welding cart

Extra 023 tips

and a new set of gloves.

This is something I've wanted for yrs.

You just don't really know anyone you meet on the net.Sad but true.So here comes the warning.There is a armed guard that lives in the house in front of the shop.He and I have become friends for four yrs now.He has two dogs that go crazy with the slightest sound or movement outside.Tony has been a security guard for a very longtime.Actually lives in the back apt closest to the shop.Hell one time I went out there in a friends car and he didn't know who was in the shop.Burst through the door glock in hand.Lower of course but by his side.Had a look on his face that I'm glad we are friends.Soooo,don't even consider it.I'm dead serious.

The other thing for the shop is the XP is done,fixed,and out there.Still gotta set up who I'm going to use for net service.

I needed to finish the windows 7 home pro computer set-up for here,so I got:

24" monitor

New keyboard and mouse.<going to use the old ones from here out at the shop>

Speakers.Yep now I can hear what your saying too once I get them set up.Need a power strip to do that.

Lastly I stopped by and took a look at this on Ridgeway Ave.Pretty sure Mike has spotted this one:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/4822535173.html

Really kind of rusty on the cab.It was just setting there and no one around.The thing is from 96 to 2000 those 5.7 Vortec's are known to have a issue with cracked heads and head gaskets.Yep I know already there are plenty of those that didn't and about the same that did.I mean just try to buy a used set for a project out of a pick and pull.It doesn't take much to crack them.So if I was to buy a truck like this one and put like 10,000 miles on it and then the heads cracked,I would have a rusty truck with bad heads.Not a good outcome.Yep I know this is a far,far,distance from the Duramax I wanted,but life happens and then reality sets in.Really haven't found many 5.3's out the yet in the price range I want to spend.I've look at ad's for some 6.0's,but gezz the guys think a 200,000 mile truck is worth tons more than they are.So this truck may not be "the one" unless he wants to sell it dirt cheap.The point is I did go out and look.

Lastly.Next week I have a appointment to go and look at the 496 in person in Buffalo.It's been 3 yrs since I've seen it last and the pictures do not sway me one way or another. I will tell you what I found.

I put in a call about taking the 383 to BKR for assembly.When I got the block back from the machine shop finished machined I had a Astro to move it in. Then I got sick and now all I have is the Sonoma with out a cap.So we talked about wind chill and any ill effects that might have going down the thruway in the back of the truck.Going to re-spray it with LPS 3 and double bag it with thick contractor bags and then shrink wrap it. That is going to happen next wk sometime.

LOL-you know there is something to being a Jewish hermit not leaving my house. I sure as hell don't spend as much!!!.
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Meterpig
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Bought yesterday

Post by Meterpig »

If that truck had a stick...it would be worth it. Auto and old 5.7? Two time bombs.

Nice welder. I live in Colorado. Don't think the glock can reach that far.
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Re: Bought yesterday

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Depends on the box, if it's an 80E it may lose reverse at some point (mine sure did) but that's actually a pretty easy fix with that welder. I still have my HF piece of junk, wish I had a nice Miller like that. Good to see you're makin progress too Gary.