Astro Mosquito Screens for windows

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
VanGoGo
I get chills without my van.

Astro Mosquito Screens for windows

Post by VanGoGo »

I made these cheap and easy bug screens using bulk screen door mesh, small magnets, and of course...duct tape. They work great and dont look too terrible on the van, and roll up easily for storage when not in use (I haven't tried driving with them attached). I also made a screen for the rear doors, will have to get shots of that and post later~

Window Screen (unrolled on the floor of my van)
Window Screen (installed on passenger door)
Close up of Window Screen attachment mechanism (aka magnet secured with duct tape)
Close up of screen fit over window vents and around mirror
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Astro Mosquito Screens for windows

Post by mdmead »

VanGoGo wrote:Window Screen (installed on passenger door)
Nice touch, the color coordinating I mean! :muhaha:

And why are we boycotting Autozone? (I use Rock Auto when I can, but Autozone has been my fall back position....)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
VanGoGo
I get chills without my van.

Post by VanGoGo »

I purchased 2 swaybar links from autozone, installed the first side, then noticed the other one was different...i took it back and they denied it being their item because it did not match the description, and refused to refund or exchange?! It was only about $8, but I was stuck with an unusable part...they pulled another shady tactic when I purchased my Alternator, I asked for ACdelco...they said "OK you want a new one and not rebuilt" they bagged it up and I rode home (on my bike since the Astro was dead X.X). I did not discover it was not ACdelco until I got home to install it...and being 100 degrees out I was hot and tired and just put in their brand anyway...could just be the shysters at that particular store, out of principle I do not give them my business.
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"

arlon
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by arlon »

I did the same thing only used magnetic tape around the edges. I don't usually need it but when you do, nothing beats it.
2004 AWD Astro 2" lift, overnight-able
2003 Dodge/Cummins Quad cab
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO
Plus wife's and kid's cars to take care of...

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

VanGoGo wrote:I purchased 2 swaybar links from autozone, installed the first side, then noticed the other one was different...i took it back and they denied it being their item because it did not match the description, and refused to refund or exchange?! It was only about $8, but I was stuck with an unusable part...they pulled another shady tactic when I purchased my Alternator, I asked for ACdelco...they said "OK you want a new one and not rebuilt" they bagged it up and I rode home (on my bike since the Astro was dead X.X). I did not discover it was not ACdelco until I got home to install it...and being 100 degrees out I was hot and tired and just put in their brand anyway...could just be the shysters at that particular store, out of principle I do not give them my business.
Gotcha. I think it is hit and miss with any auto parts store. My local Autozone has been OK. About 6 mos ago I stopped off at a different Autozone to pick up a couple of quarts of oil. Employees were there... I saw them... but nobody seemed to care enough to come out of the back and actually wait on me. There were about 5 cusomers waiting for service when I dropped the oil on the counter and left. (Went up the road to O'Reillys and had great service.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Nice, I have the screen and some fabric sitting on my floor waiting to to do same, screens are extremely important, especially when you don't have them haha. You think magnets are strong enough to hold a larger screen for the sliding door? I tried this last year for the windows but the magnets didnt cut it, the duct tape was too heavy.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

bentwanderer
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by bentwanderer »

Does your back doors and/or slider have the pop out windows? I did the flex magnets on the fronts. But haven't had time to mess with the back and work around hinges and latches. I have a small dual fan window fan in one side sealed to the interior. When it is on;(usually anytime i have to worry about the bugs); it seems to ward off the bugs as well as the screens. I will be monitoring the post more closely , just to see what you come up with.

arlon
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by arlon »

I made some screens with "no seeum" nettiing and it just killed the air flow when the wind died to a light breeze this weekend. First time it's really been hot enough to make a difference. I'm going to have to come up with something else to the air a little. Coming up with a fan would be an excellent addition but I'd be afraid of killing my battery. Maybe a backup battery on an AB Switch would be a good solution.
2004 AWD Astro 2" lift, overnight-able
2003 Dodge/Cummins Quad cab
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO
Plus wife's and kid's cars to take care of...

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

For those who don't want to mess with DIY, I've been really happy with the pair I bought for our front windows from Skeeter Beater:
http://theskeeterbeater.com/

Looking into one to seal the tailgate area now, would sure be nice to sleep with the rear upper dutch door open.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.