What's 7' tall and guaranteed to make your van smell better?

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
fishesfromtupperware
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

What's 7' tall and guaranteed to make your van smell better?

Post by fishesfromtupperware »

Hello All,

Finally getting around to pulling my 94 awd Astro out of mothballs and converting it into the Westy that it wants to be, and the privy question returned. From my time with my 86 Westy, I remember that the lil portapotti worked well, but emptying it was not fun and the lack of privacy gave a whole nuther level of meaning to the concept of intimacy with family and friends. 8-[

Then I recalled a fishing trip to a remote island in the Queen Charlottes in BC. For the first few days, we were happy that we had something other than pine cones to wipe with. Then I noticed a small tent in a box that had'nt been assembled (this was my guide's first primitive trip) and inquired. He said it was a privy and probably not worth bothering with.... He was wrong.
I assembled the tent and we went from reeeeally roughing it to living in the lap of luxury. Not only did we have a pot, but a window to throw it out. Actually, we'd take our leaving with us, but the window sure was nice! AND it was a shower! Life was already good, but it had just gotten better.

Fast forward to a road trip with the fam to Hershey, PA and a mandatory stop at the Cabela's near by. That's where this lil lovey was on sale for $40.

No assemble, it pops open into 4'x4'x7' tee pee using a wire frame like those windshields covers. Like them, its a major PITA to fold back again until you learn the trick. That means read the instructions which are conveniently (and permanently) attached to the cover.

Once folded, its a relatively flat 26" ring that'll stuff into it's bag along with one of these:

Its a flat folding toilet seat with securely attached baggies. The whole shebang fits flat behind the back bench or in my subaru, on top of the spare.
I got to test it on another recent family road trip (in the subaru) on one of those stretches in NC with 60 miles between rest areas. It worked VERY well and it actually met my 13 yo princess's approval (and that ain't easy!) :D

The pot ($6.00 !!!!) :
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... et&Ntk=All

The the window to throw it out with accompanying structure (now $55):
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Trekker- ... RRWidgetID