Less becomes more.

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
arlon
I finally get the smurf thing

Less becomes more.

Post by arlon »

After going through about three configurations for a sleeping platform I finally threw in the towel. I tried boxes and they were uncomfortable even with 4" of foam and a 2" memory foam topper. I have finally just tried a simple folding cot. Wish I had tried that first. The simplicity is worth the cost of entry. I did get a decent cot that cost close to $100.

This cot doesn't have a center leg so my inflatable canoe even folds up and fits under it. How many of you can store a 14' Canoe, paddles and PFDs under the bed? (-:}

Out with the old and in with a lot less!

Still can set up for two (one cot one platform) if needed but I usually go alone.
2004 AWD Astro 2" lift, overnight-able
2003 Dodge/Cummins Quad cab
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO
Plus wife's and kid's cars to take care of...

okie1
I sleep in my van

Re: Less becomes more.

Post by okie1 »

Sometimes simple is best, glad it worked out. :cheers:

Maria Nomad
I am merely driving my van

Post by Maria Nomad »

Very nice. Simple and looks comfy! =P~

Topic author
arlon

Post by arlon »

I spent three nights on the cot a few weekends ago and the cot was WAY more comfortable than the hard platform was. This is the final interior as far as I'm concerned. The old boxes will be made into storage cabinets in the garage. The cot is so easy to set up or remove if I want a van. I use my van as a daily driver and it's nice to be able to turn it back into a van in 5 minutes. Storage of the cot is of course much easier than the platform box was. I can set the cot outside under the stars if conditions permit. I can fold the cot if I need the space while traveling. With the cot open I can store more under it than I could with the boxes.

A long weekend camping in South Texas has confirmed the comfort and simplicity of this setup. I don't see any big change for the near future. (-:}
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO

Topic author
arlon

Post by arlon »

Now I've really done it! Out camping week before last and realized that I have been carrying a big double burner propane stove and only using one burner. Had the stove for several years and the left burner has never been turned on. I have now ditched the stove and got a little propane burner that sits on top of the propane tank. WOW, it actually fits in the food box and cooks fine. I did have to add a "trivet" from the kitchen store to keep my hot dogs from rolling off....
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO

Meterpig

Post by Meterpig »

arlon wrote:Now I've really done it! Out camping week before last and realized that I have been carrying a big double burner propane stove and only using one burner. Had the stove for several years and the left burner has never been turned on. I have now ditched the stove and got a little propane burner that sits on top of the propane tank. WOW, it actually fits in the food box and cooks fine. I did have to add a "trivet" from the kitchen store to keep my hot dogs from rolling off....

I have an old coleman single burner stove that runs on any fuel. We used it for camping and it boils water really well.
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz

Topic author
arlon

Post by arlon »

Spent a week in Big Bend. Less is more philosophy seems to be working still. Had more room, less stuff to worry about and survived just fine. I also pulled the awning off the van. I haven't had it up in over a year so it now resides in the garage with a bunch of other stuff I don't think I really need.

At Meriscal Mine in Big Bend NP.

2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Nicely framed photo!

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

What brand awning did you have on your van, ARB? Or Carefree of Colorado, etc?

AP

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

I went thru the same scenario years ago trying to find a good sleeping situation, cot is def the way to go.What type of inflatable yak/canoe do you have? I picked up a BIC Kalyma last year ... http://www.bicsportkayaks.com/products/ ... a,946.html here is a real good site you may or may not know about for all things inflatable kayaks https://airkayaks.wordpress.com/page/2/

Topic author
arlon

Post by arlon »

astrozam wrote:I went thru the same scenario years ago trying to find a good sleeping situation, cot is def the way to go.What type of inflatable yak/canoe do you have? I picked up a BIC Kalyma last year ... http://www.bicsportkayaks.com/products/ ... a,946.html here is a real good site you may or may not know about for all things inflatable kayaks https://airkayaks.wordpress.com/page/2/
I have an AIRE Super Lynx. It's more like a canoe. It's called a tandem kayak. It's pretty big, too big for just running around by myself. http://www.aire.com/aire-kayak/super-lynx.asp
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO

Topic author
arlon

Post by arlon »

Astrophysics wrote:What brand awning did you have on your van, ARB? Or Carefree of Colorado, etc?

AP

Sorry, I missed that. I'm using a camping labs awning. It was pretty easy to attach to the roof rack. I have found I use it a lot less than I thought I would.
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO

chuck.z

Post by chuck.z »

Hey Arlon, thank you for sharing the build. I am thinking the same with my van. Easy conversion from regular van to camping and back. I doubt I'll be spending more than a few days in the van at a time, so no need for permanent camper mods, sleeping platforms, fridges, heaters, etc.

I am curious - wheat is the model of the cot that you're using? I can't seem to find any without the center cross bar like you mentioned. It would be nice to hear how it's working now that you've spent some time with it. Thanks
1996 Astro Awd - All stock, soon to be lifted and camperized
1998 GMC Safari 2wd - Work van. 258k miles and counting

Topic author
arlon

Post by arlon »

Sorry, haven't been by here in awhile. The cot is a Camp Time "Roll-A-Cot". I got mine from Amazon but they have gone up a few dollars since I got it.

I'm still loving the cot approach. I've camped with the cot at least a dozen times now. One trip was 2 weeks and I slept on the cot every night with no problems. I went camping a few weeks ago and then had to haul a bunch of passengers when I got home. It took me about 10 minutes to go from full camp mode to full people hauler (son helped with the seats). Went camping again last weekend and when I got home, my son needed the van to haul furniture. Only a 5 minute change over to junk hauler. It makes everything work so well, the cot folds up to the size of a folded lawn chair when it isn't in being used (perfect for my crowded garage). I also found that I wanted the cot a few inches shorter so I could fit a lockable box between the cot and the drivers seat. The way the cot is made, I just had to drill 2 new 1/4" pin holes and slide the rails to the length I wanted. I slid the rails in about 6 inches and still have plenty of length to fit on the cot.

I have also tossed the cot outside a few times when the weather was perfect and also used it for star gazing since it only takes a few seconds to pull it in or out. It also only weighs a few pounds, it's very light and easy to handle.
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO