Torsion bars needed source???

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Torsion bars needed source???

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi ,

The OEM bump stop has a M10 threaded stud and an alignment pin to prevent rotation.

1. I suppose one could Fab an adapter plate to allow the Timbren to be better centered.

2. The other idea that I toyed with, was added 1 or 2 heavy wrought type flat washers to increase the stak up height by 1/8" or more to force the rubber spring into a bit of pre load. But the clearance on bottom of Timbren to get the deep socket on would be even tighter is stack up was increased.

3. Another possible improvement to make install easier would be to install a Riv nut threaded insert or weld in a nut plate to the upper frame so that blind mating of hex nut is not needed. OR better yet , have Timbren put a threaded insert on top of the rubber cone so that a short bolt could be inserted from above and thread into the Timbren

AP

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Glad you have some positive results. Mine are on the coming.... slowly.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

I tried to speak by phone today with Brian at Sway-Away in San Fernando Valley, but he is on vacation until next Tuesday.

I wanted to see if he has any status updates on firmer torsion bars.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Spoke by phone Thursday with Mike at Journeys Off Road about firmer torsion bars for AWD Astros.
He looked on the Sway Ahead website and he may call Brian to chat about firmer torsion bars for AWD Astro.

Nominal length 36 " larger diameter bar to add 15% to the spring rate.
Both ends to have splines rather than just hex at adjuster key.

Astrophysics

93AWD
I am merely driving my van

Post by 93AWD »

Hi all,

I followed up with Brian at Sway-A-Away about making torsion bars.

Brian has been great to work with and now has enough information to design and fabricate torsion bars that:
-are stiffer than the factory bars; and
-come with keys that are much more adjustable than the factory keys (important since the bars are stiffer)

I'm ordering a pair of rods/keys for my '93 AWD and Brian is finalizing the specs (rod diameter, configuration of the ends). He estimates 60 to 90 days before he can ship.

You can contact Brian directly at 818-700-9712 if you are interested in these bars/keys that he's developing.
Last edited by 93AWD on Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi All,

That is great news!

I need firmer torsion bars for my lifted, 2003 AWD turned 4x4 Chevy Astro. Then I can mount winch up front.

Yippee!

Herbie wants torsion bars too.

I will call him next week.

Thank you,

Astrophysics

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Again,

If Sway Away can really make the firmer torsion bars, we should also post this good news on the other Astrosafari.com users group.
Many people there would benefit from the higher spring rate on their AWD or 4x4 Astros with heavy front bumpers.

We should also inform Mike at Jouneys Off-road, JOR. Once these firmer torsion bar are available many of us would like JOR front winch bumpers.

Thanks,

Astrophysics

93AWD

Post by 93AWD »

Hi All,

Just confirmed my order, with Brian at Sway-A-Way, for new torsion bars with keys:
-34.75" long x 1.080" (~10% stiffer than factory);
-1.75" Hex on CA side;
-Spline on Key side;
-new Keys (same profile as factory) with female spline.

Looking to receive the new bars and keys in about 6 weeks.

93AWD

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

=D>
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Hey all - yeah, it sounds like the cat is out of the bag on the Sway-a-way bars. I'm glad that whole thing finally came to fruition. I had started working with Brian back in late 2020. I paid for a couple of salvage yard sample bars to get sent their way back at the time, then it looked for a while like we wouldn't be able to settle on a length/thickness arrangement that would suit a "majority" of vans. It was looking like the market would be too small to justify the expense.

Really glad other folks were able to show their interest and Brian and his team got a solution.

As it stands, I will no longer need bars as I recently sold my GTRV Astro. Crappy way to let you all know, I realize. After caring for my Mom almost full time during 2020 and 2021, when she passed, I had to stop and re-evaluate priorities, etc. We loved our Astro, but it was becoming the limiting factor in the kinds of trips we would tackle as a family, so we made the choice to change up our adventure rig.

I'll post more soon, and I still have some Van parts that need a good Astro/Safari home.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

tanvanmanwithaplan

Post by tanvanmanwithaplan »

I think sway-a-way went out of business already.

Edit: their website is just down

93AWD

Post by 93AWD »

I received, and installed, new torsion bars and keys from Brian at Sway-A -Way. The hole in the front of the cross-beam had to be enlarged so that the spline end of the bar could pass through. The new torsion bars perform well. Brian has been great to work with and I anticipate that he'll be a reliable - and responsive - source of torsion bars.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Thanks 93!
good to know.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

websites go down all the time

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Happy New Year to All.

I order torsion bars from Brian at Sway Away this week for my 2003 Astro AWD (4x4 with np231C t case)

I plan to use hole saw to enlarge hole in cross member.. clamp Somme wood in cross bar to allow center pilot drill of hole saw to keep concentric cut..

2. I asked Brian if he could build and sell front sway bar dis connect rod kit..

AP