Hard starting and more

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
the reaper
I am merely driving my van

Hard starting and more

Post by the reaper »

I tried searching and couldnt find anything that fit my exact situation, so heres the problems

For starters, its a 92 awd astro, tcase is jacked up so its technically 2wd. Roughly 154k, ive had it less than a month. Recently ive had the exhaust and muffler replaces from behind the cat (rusted pipe prevented it from passing inspection), new fuel filter, autolite plugs, and air filter. Oil change coming soon.

Problem 1: When i bought it, she was pretty sluggish. But ran well. After failing inspection, I had the exhaust fixed. Oddly, thats when it became hard to start. It literally turns over for a good 30 secs before it starts. Sometimes I haveto actually pump the accelerator a few times before it starts. Doing this method also leads to a big puff of grey smoke/unburnt fuel out the exhaust and a roughly, sputtering idle for about 30 secs until it straightens out. After changing the fuel filter, it started once on the first turn. Every time after, it takes forever.

Problem 2: This has happened a few times, but sporadic. Twice it was below 1/4 tank, so I thought it was from an overheating fuel pump. But its happened a couple times with over a half tank. At random, the service engine light comes on and the van starts bucking when I come to a stop. Acting like its going to die, then idling up. When I take off, it does fine. The last time it happened I ran the codes and got a 32.

Problem 3: After a basic tune up, it ran smoother but still hard to start. At the same time, i capped off a few broken vac lines including the back of the intake that went to the cruise and something else (line was broken). Power seems to have picked up but gas mileage is still crappy (est roughly 12mpg). I was on the highway heading to work and went to speed up to pass a car. When it kicked down, it literaly acted like it went into neutral for a second then grinded pretty hard before snapping into gear. Immeadiately the service engine light came on. When I got to work, checked the codes, still only 32.

I havent yet checked the egr, but its on my list when I do an oil change. The battery seems weak at times and other times it sounds like new, spinning quickly.

Basically im just looking for some pointing in the right direction so I dont spend a grand replacing parts that arent broken. Im thinking the cat could be faulty for starters. To check it I figure I can unbolt it and punch the screens out to see if that helps. Its illegal to sell them for scrap here now (unless you have a dealer license) so no worries on killing the value.

On a side note, during the tune up I popped out the mechanismon top of the intake mani (round black plastic, held on with torx head bolts). Looks like sone type of valve? I could spin it about a 1/4 turn freely. I check the plug running to it with a test light and got no juice. What is this and its purpose? Waiting on a haynes manual from ebay.
92 Astro CL AWD
152k miles
Hauls bikes, kids, and ass.

Topic author
the reaper

Re: Hard starting and more

Post by the reaper »

Also fwiw, the driver side plugs were all black. Passenger side was a nice choc milk color. All the pkugs matched so im assuming they were all changed by the prev owner. But, being the complicated 3, they may have been overlooked...
92 Astro CL AWD
152k miles

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

One of the first things we'll need is the 8th letter of the VIN. It will be a Z or W. This will tell us what injection system it should have. Did the tune-up include new wires, cap and rotor? After that I would recommend pulling the EGR and making sure it is clean. Then I would start looking at the vacuum lines.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
the reaper

Post by the reaper »

8th letter is W.

Nah I didnt do wires or cap bc visually they both looked fairly new.

Ive also noticed lately the van starts running warmer than normal and the heats gets cold temporarily. Maybe some air in the coolant system?
92 Astro CL AWD
152k miles

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Could be some air in the coolant system or low coolant level but that won't make it start hard. I would do wires cap and rotor first thing just to make sure.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

When you do the cap/rotor use only Delco.Believe it or not,it does make a difference.Actually I would suggest the same for the plugs.Spray the mating surface if the intake with carb cleaner and if it picks up in rpm,the intake gasket needs to be replaced.Pull the pugs and do a compression test.All the cylinders should be within 10% of each other.If you have one bank low it is either a blown head gasket or a cracked head.That would explain the heat issue.The 4.3's are not very tolerant to being overheated.If you carefully remove the rad cap after the thermostat(top hose warm) has opened making sure the rad is full and see bubbles in a stream,what that is a cylinder(s) pressurizing the coolant system and that confirms a blown head gasket or cracked head.So the erratic idle could be related to either of the above.Fuel pressure test is also in order.Hard starts can be related to a fuel pump that is starting to take a drive where there is enough fuel pressure to run,but not enough to start and that too can be related to the erratic idle issues.The 94 I had did exactly the same thing until I replaced the fuel pump.Delphi only for fuel pumps.I think Rock auto still sells them.I discovered the Delco doesn't sell factory spec pumps any longer.Stay away from the temptation of the cheap pumps like Airco.They don't last and frankly the engine doesn't run very well with them.If you do these steps,it very likely will help you track down what the problem is.Post what you find.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
the reaper

Post by the reaper »

The radiator sprung a leak from one of the fins yesterday. Seems every time I fix an issue, another pops up. Im prob just gonna sell it and move on. I need something more reliable than this.
92 Astro CL AWD
152k miles