engine surging at first startup- 94 astro

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
safari kev
I finally get the smurf thing

engine surging at first startup- 94 astro

Post by safari kev »

I've been having a problem the past few days with my 94 astro. Right when I first start it up, the engine surges for 10-30 seconds and I get raw fuel smell out the exhaust. It went in the shop today and the mechanic was not able to reproduce it. He said fuel pressure was constant at 60 lbs. He said the fuel injectors seemed to spray ok as well. Any ideas? My dad said it probably needs plugs, wires and cap/ rotor, but I'd rather get some more input on it before blindly throwing money at parts.
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
94 safari hi-top explorer limited. 132k miles.
95 ASTRO choo choo conv. RIP @115K
97 safari slx "surfin' safari" 145k miles RIP
91 safari shorty Tiara conversion. RIP
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham. 67k. It thinks its a hot rod.
83 lesabre limited. 71k miles
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

VanGoGo
I get chills without my van.

Re: engine surging at first startup- 94 astro

Post by VanGoGo »

I had another vehicle do that when a temp sensor went bad (bad connection). The engine would surge as the computer was hunting for the temp signal, and apparently the computer translated it as a cold motor and was also running in choke mode (running rich). Once the computer thought the engine was up to temp it ran fine. I could rev the motor 3 times around 3000 rpms, and it would tell the computer to switch out of the cold idle...this was on a VW Vanagon, so Im not sure if its even possible for an Astro to have the same goofy glitches those VWs have. But maybe check the connections on some of the sensors.
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"