95 astro- poor idle, intermittent stalling

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
safari kev
I finally get the smurf thing

95 astro- poor idle, intermittent stalling

Post by safari kev »

I have had this problem on and off since I bought my van. When you start it, the idle keeps dropping then going back up to normal. It usually stops after a couple minutes, but sometimes it will do it even when it's warmed up. It occasionally has a miss while idling/ driving. I have not noticed a major loss of power. It also will stall when going from Park to gear. It has done this 4 times, but it only started a week ago. It always immediately refired. It also will not run in the rain (doesn't like to start nor stay running).
I recently took it in for the issue. A known good idle control module was installed , which did not help nor hurt the issue. My mechanic said it has proper fuel pressure and the coil seems ok. He said, as I have, that it would not always act up. He said that the computer and engine may not match (computer was replaced prior to purchase of van, but he did not know that).

This issue is driving me nuts. Can anyone help me out? I don't want to just throw parts at it and hope I fix it, as that won't be cheap.
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
94 safari hi-top explorer limited. 132k miles.
95 ASTRO choo choo conv. RIP @115K
97 safari slx "surfin' safari" 145k miles RIP
91 safari shorty Tiara conversion. RIP
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham. 67k. It thinks its a hot rod.
83 lesabre limited. 71k miles
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 95 astro- poor idle, intermittent stalling

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

A new set of plugs, wires and AC Delco cap and rotor will help...unless they have been changed. My 95 had a weird idle as the 92 - 95 "W" motors are known for. It never stalled though. Not starting in the rain is a clue to an issue with ignition. If you can, remove the doghouse when it's wet out and see if there are any arcing or sparking going on around the ignition parts.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy