Intake Manifold Gasket - I'm blaming the OEM Dex-Cool

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Intake Manifold Gasket - I'm blaming the OEM Dex-Cool

Post by ihatemybike »

I guess it was bound to happen someday. Last Saturday night, shortly after acquiring a kill in Green racing a Focus from a light to a lane merge*, I arrived at my theater destination, pulled into a spot and watched the pretty white stuff billow out from under the hood. Jumping out of the van, I could smell the anti-freeze boiling off. Grabbed the flashlight, popped the hood and searched for the leak. Best I could tell, with what little of the engine I could see, was that the drivers side lower intake manifold gasket was to blame.

Well, might as well enjoy my show.

2:30 in the morning my movie is over, I return to my van and start reviewing my options. Maybe the leak is slow enough that I can limp the 45 miles home. I walk across the street to a 24 hour grocery and purchase 4 gallons of water, while planning my surface streets route in my head. Back at the van I dump in most of the first gallon. Wasn't even able to get the drivers door open before I heard water trickling. So much for that idea.

Hello, AAA. Ladies on the phone were great, but for some reason no tow trucks were available in Chicago's west burbs on a night with no weather. Ended up with a driver from the south side that apparently has never ventured out of the city, watched the news during Christmas time, or bothered to learn how to use his GPS. Took several call from him to get him to my location. At one point I thought the guy was just going to give up. So 3 cold hours later the van is loaded and after I program my address in his GPS we are off to my home. It's almost 7 AM by the time the van is unloaded.

Sleep till just after noon. Back to the van. Remove the air box, upper shroud and engine cover, then pour more water into the radiator. Sure enough water is flowing out the channel between the intake manifold and the valve cover. Too tired to deal with it on Sunday, so Grumpy is pulling DD duty again.

I love Grumpy, best $250 I've ever spent.

*I lead from the light, but with too little room left to get in front of me they got on it. Sorry, but when properly prompted this van moves. Buh, bye. Image
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Intake Manifold Gasket - I'm blaming the OEM Dex-Cool

Post by Smiliesafari »

Well, that was a pain. The next PITA is changing the gaskets. It's somewhat easier if you remove the seats. You'll be inside and then under the hood a bizzilion times. I don't think the Dex-Cool is the problem. I think it's an age related problem. The gaskets are made of a material that just rots away after some years of use. In all of the years I've owned my Safari it has never had Dex-Cool in it and it had the same leaks. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Yeah, but DEX-COOL gets the blame from most people when it comes to the intake manifold gaskets. Grumpy had DEX-COOL from the factory too and is still holding up.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

So knowing this will likely be coming up with my '97 eventually, what is the best gasket to get when replacing it? I'm not sure I would really be up to doing this, but I would probably be willing to give it a shot.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

clarkperez2334

Post by clarkperez2334 »

For me, when it comes to intake gasket I'll go for MR. GASKET® SUPER INTAKE GASKETS from jcwhitney. It provides me excellent sealing and durability.

cfs
I am merely driving my van

Post by cfs »

My Intake gasket just puked and I had to replace it so I had the water pump, Intake Gasket and tune up done. The guys at Coulwood Tire in Charlotte did a great job and right at 1000.00 bucks.

cfs

Post by cfs »

My intake gasket went 9-15-12, 122k miles and it's a 2002- Guys at Coulwood Tire in Charlotte did the Intake Gasket, water pump and a tune up ! Dex Cool sucks !
Attachments
100_3812.JPG