rear door panel mounting hardware

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

rear door panel mounting hardware

Post by WE7X »

The door panels are mounted with plastic barbed clips into the door, but the head of clips slot into mounts on the door panel itself. Nearly half of those slotted mounts came loose from my rear door panel before I realized what was happening when I needed to get to the dutch door stop hardware.
Those black slotted mounts are not available separately (they come with the door panel) so has anyone been successfull in finding an adhesive that works well to remount the ones that did not break?
If not, I am thinking of trying some of the industrial Velcro or Scotch-Loc buttons in their place. If that didn't work, the next option might just be some oval headed stainless screws and matching trim washers.

Rod
Issaquah, WA
Green '98 LS AWD
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: rear door panel mounting hardware

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
Similar thing happened on my 2003 Astro Dutch doors.
The stainless sheet metal screw and finishing washer sound good. The Velcro idea would also work. It seems from my experience even double backed duct tape or cloth tape on the outside. will help hold panel as long as a few of the OEM fastener clips are still present to align panel,
Or if you want to have some fun, buy the Riv nut kit from McMaster Carr or Grainger.
Drill 1/8". Pilot holes in panel and sheet metal at convenient new locations around the perimeter of the panels . Then remove panels and drill the larger hole in sheet metal to accept the aluminum 1/4" Riv nut. Install Riv nuts with the tool. Then put panel back and install stainless oval head 1/4" machine screws and finishing washers. The SS screws thread into the Riv nut threaded insert.

Riv nuts are great for putting threaded fasteners in sheet metal . But more expensive.
It would be a good excuse to justify buying the Riv nut tool though which you would use on other projects too.

AP

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

I wouldn't use Rivnuts, at least not if there is any chance of you crossing the border....you will want something easier to disassemble just in case.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

The Riv-Nut is a good idea too, and I actually have a set of those in 6mm x 1.0 threads (another brand name, but same parts and insertion tools), from my days in the auto business.
I actually used them to repair the dutch door retainer strap mounting holes, when I found the backup plate was missing. I read some place that it was not a captive plate, but only after that did I realize how impossible it would probably be to get it back in place, even if I found it down in that hole, and could manage to fish it out. I will probably hear that piece rattle for a long time, if it is in there.
As for crossing the border...I would rather have the Riv-nuts, or the trim washers and sheet metal screws. They will be easily replaceable and readily available. I am sure the customs folks would not burden themselves with worrying about breaking a few brittle plastic panel mounting pads on a 20 year old vehicle.

Rod J
Issaquah, WA
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA