Event Data Recorders

WIN-ALDL, PROM BURNING, ERROR CODES, RPO CODES, SES LIGHT, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, VIN INFO, FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS LIST

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Event Data Recorders

Post by MountainManJoe »

Event Data Recorders

Cut-away:

Located under driver seat in Astro/Safari.

What is an EDR?
Event Data Recorders (EDRs) are functions within one or more vehicle electronic modules that capture vehicle and restraint information in the event of a crash in which air bags may or may not deploy. In General Motors vehicles, the EDR function is typically housed in a control module, such as the sensing and diagnostic module, the engine control module or the stability control or 4-wheel steering modules. These modules are located in various places in the vehicle, such as under a front seat, in the center console or under the dash.

What vehicles have EDRs?
Since 1973, when GM first introduced air bag equipped cars, some crash data has been recorded. Almost all vehicles sold in North America since 1997 are recording vehicle crash data. By 2005, General Motors, Ford, Isuzu, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, and Suzuki were all voluntarily equipping all of their vehicles with EDRs, according to NHTSA.

What data do EDRs record?
The amount of recorded data has expanded with time and technology. As of model year 2013, all EDRs are mandated to record:
  • Change in forward crash speed
  • Maximum change in forward crash speed
  • Time from beginning of crash at which the maximum change in forward crash speed occurs
  • Speed vehicle was traveling
  • Percentage of engine throttle, percentage full (how far the accelerator pedal was pressed)
  • Whether or not brake was applied
  • Ignition cycle (number of power cycles applied to the EDR) at the time of the crash
  • Ignition cycle (number of power cycles applied to the EDR) when the EDR data were downloaded
  • Whether or not driver was using safety belt
  • Whether or not frontal airbag warning lamp was on
  • Driver frontal airbag deployment: time to deploy for a single stage airbag, or time to first stage deployment for a multistage airbag
  • Right front passenger frontal airbag deployment: time to deploy for a single stage airbag, or time to first stage deployment for a multistage airbag
  • Number of crash events
  • Time between first two crash events, if applicable
  • Whether or not EDR completed recording
General Motors has authorized Vetronix Corporation (now Bosch) of Santa Barbara, California, to develop software, hardware and interface cables to allow the recorded data to be downloaded to commonly used computers.

Who owns the data and who has access?
EDRs and the data they store belong to vehicle owners. Police, insurers, researchers, automakers, and others may gain access to the data with owner consent. Without consent, access may be obtained through a court order. For example, in a Florida criminal case involving a vehicular manslaughter charge, the police obtained a warrant to access the EDR data. Courts have generally accepted this usage of the data.

For crashes that don't involve litigation, especially when police or insurers are interested in assessing fault, insurers may be able to access the EDRs in their policyholders' vehicles based on provisions in the insurance contract requiring policyholders to cooperate with the insurer. However, some states prohibit insurance contracts from requiring policyholders to consent to access.

Privacy advocates are raising warnings about how information from the boxes is being used, reliability of the devices and the extent to which they are tamper-proof.

Those of you with OnStar may already know that certain driving maneuvres will prompt a helpful voice from your speaker system, asking you if everything is alright.

astrozam

Re: Event Data Recorders

Post by astrozam »

Interesting info =D>

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

That's kind of scary.

What is even more scary is the fact that they will have steering wheel input as well as yaw measurements with newer autos.

Big Brother... Will it ever end?

Jim

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

My first issue is that the data is virtually useless to us. I don't want secret boxes in MY vehicle, that I own, that only someone else can decode for me (likely for an astronomical price.) If I can't easily access the information myself, then it's just a little snitch box for someone else.

2nd, even though a court order is needed to obtain your information without your consent, what's to stop others from, lets say, denying you insurance coverage unless you "volunteer" your ERD data. Then you rate could be "adjusted" according to your driving patterns.a

Auto makers and insurers can use it to absolve themselves of responsibility. For example:
"Sorry, Mr. Smith, but according to your ERD, you did not do xxxxx as per section 8.13b in your owner's manual therefore we are unable to cover your disability from the crash." And lawyers are an honest bunch, right?