systems,what ya got?

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Re: systems,what ya got?

Post by WVKayaker »

Subwoofer mandatory!
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

LOL when time allows nor am I sure what I will stuff in to the rear doors :D Still need to take apart the side panel behind driver / passenger front seat to check for a factory amp or not.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Still in process, I'm stuck in the past so forgive me with my old school stuff, though I agree the newer head units look like a space ship.

Sony CDX-C90
Hifonics (Gen -X) Thor
(2) Nak PA-400M's
Nak PA-300II
Audio Control EQ-S
Sony XEC-1000
Focal 165's
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

moboman
I get chills without my van.

Post by moboman »

Burned it looks like you took pictures of my setup and photoshoped some stuff in :yawinkle:

My stereo is still a work in progress, so check out my cardomain page as I update it somewhat often. I have a carputer, alpine type-r components. Currently I have pioneer 6x9's in the rear but im working on a box that will hold 4 alpine type r 6x9's from the ceiling.
I have a couple of new amps to put in as well. :supz:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2932891

Sublimewind
I am smitten with my van

Post by Sublimewind »

I wish I could say i'm working on the Astro, but i'm not, kinda hoping to seel it actually...

But the Subaru (the new one) is getting a full on SQ system... This is the sum of the parts...

First the brain of everything (and in it temp location, already moved from this pic to the factory location)

Eclipse CD7100, which includes an active 3way crossover, and i'll be using it active, no passives in this system. Time alignment, full color OLED display, USB input, ESN.....

Then it's off to the Rockford Fosgate Power 1000 Limited 5ch... This will push 111w to each mid and tweeter (all 4ch going up front)

Then out to the new Pioneer TS-C720PRS components... (and they are getting GREAT reviews)

And to bring up the low end, a custom spare tire enclosure, loaded with Image Dynamics IDQ10's...and getting ~700w from the sub channel of the RF.. please excuse the mess, it's all been cleaned up and sound deadened over now...

The amp is also getting backed up but a BatCap 800..

Again, i'm sorry it's not an astro, it just doesn't hold the luster it used to and with my new baby, something gotta get my audio attention....

The baby....
Any fool can go fast in a straight line....
94' Astro AWD EXT W
Other rides:
03' Pontiac Vibe
00' Subaru Impreza 2.5Rs w/2.0 WRX swap
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
The GF...

You can't go wrong with Ohms Law

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Hey those Pioneer componets look sweet. I'll have to check those out.

I'm busy attending some other issues on the Astro such as alternator upgrade to help support the system which I have started another thread.

I'm in the process of modifing the EQ-S & XEC-1000 front channels. Replacing the lower grade op-amps to BurrBrown's. The CDX-C90 uses the OP275's which are very good.
---------
----------
Chris
91AWD 350

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hi Sublime! Look good and you love your audio :) Hey your wheels, did you change them again? It look different from last time but I am viewing from a remote session so it is slightly pixeled and dis-colored :D
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Sublimewind
I am smitten with my van

Post by Sublimewind »

91AWDAstro wrote:Hey those Pioneer componets look sweet. I'll have to check those out.

I'm busy attending some other issues on the Astro such as alternator upgrade to help support the system which I have started another thread.

I'm in the process of modifing the EQ-S & XEC-1000 front channels. Replacing the lower grade op-amps to BurrBrown's. The CDX-C90 uses the OP275's which are very good.

Thanks man, you know the greatest thing about those components..... 265 SHIPPED to my door..!!! I got a chance to hear the 4" version, and though there was little mid-bass, they sounded GREAT... System, in another thread... i'll have to look ...

Modding electronics is awesome, i sure wish I was more up to speed with that, i'm "hoping" that I won't be needing any upgrades anytime soon, but I may have to get a pair of mono 32 band EQ's to tame the beast within... lol...
94' Astro AWD EXT W
Other rides:
03' Pontiac Vibe
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
The GF...

Sublimewind
I am smitten with my van

Post by Sublimewind »

phr1$k37 wrote:
Hi Sublime! Look good and you love your audio :) Hey your wheels, did you change them again? It look different from last time but I am viewing from a remote session so it is slightly pixeled and dis-colored :D

thanks, and yes, yes I do.... I was an installer for a few years back in the early 90's and never had a complete system.. I had all the parts and it was all at 70%, but it never got finished... I'm hoping I can finish this one and amaze people at the mix of "race" and "sound"

The wheels are the same as when I posted about me bringing it home back in the summer, no changes "yet" they may get some graphite paint here soon, but that's about all I can afford right now... Unless someone were to buy my Astro.... :D
94' Astro AWD EXT W
Other rides:
03' Pontiac Vibe
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
The GF...

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Most probably aren't intrested in the equipment mods, but I can post what I'm doing if your intrested. The EQ-S is striaght forward it used 8 pin dip BA4560's, but the XEC-1000 uses sipp package 4558 JRC op amp. That package is not avaible in the OPA-2132's so I will be making a conversion board using the surface mount SOIC package.

I never thought they would make that much of a difference but it does. I used to have and use a set of EQ-T's for system control. Sold them a while back. Using the EQ-S for adjustment now.
---------
----------
Chris
91AWD 350

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

burned wrote:deck- alpine cda-9857,set up with sirius,full speed i-pod connection etc etc.just got,love it so far.
Ive got the Alpine CDA-9856, i wonder what the differences are, i didn't subscribe to the Sirius as i don't ever listen to the radio, but i do have the option, and i also have the full speed I-POD hook-up....i only have some Rockford Fosgates in the doors, nothing too special, the stock tweeters and the stock rear subs and pillar speakers and just with that deck it sounds awesome. i wouldn't mind doing more, but i want the amp to stay hidden and only to use stock locations, i hate boxes and don't want all that custom fiberglass stuff drawing attention to thieves.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

delsafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by delsafari »

Here's the audio system in my Safari. Its a '94 AWD shorty. I've done lots of other upgrades to it as well, and I'm just now getting some of it posted on ASV. People seem to like lots of pictures, so I'll post a bunch. If it's too many, I trust somebody will edit for me.

First, here's my approach to audio. I love a "primo" audio system - quality and power combined, but do NOT want to compromise the overall versatility of the van. I didn't want the audio system to keep me from taking 8 passengers on a road trip. Or from removing the seats, sliding in a tarp, and loading up construction garbage for a trip to the dump. I also want the system to be heard, not seen - so a person would have no clue there is a kickin' sound system in the van unless I told them, or they heard it comin' down the street. Not to mention advertising to would-be thieves. So, it's not an extreme system, but it works for me.

Here's the components, then some pictures.

- Alpine IDA-X001 iPod Head unit
- 80 gig iPod
- JL Audio 300/2 Amp
- DynAudio 360 3-way speakers, 8"/3"/tweet
- JL Audio 500/1 Monoblock Amp
- JL Audio 10W7 subwoofer, sealed enclosure
- Security Compustar 2W8000 FM

I previously have had Alpine head units with lots of SQ features, like parametric equalizers, high voltage preouts, time correction, etc, which were great. But the slow iPod search speed was a nuisance. So I tried the IDA -X001 which has great iPod features, and convenient sound tuning functions. I like it a lot. This year they are adding IMPRINT to the IDA-X001, which will include time correction and equalizer features, so I may upgrade. My 80gig iPod sits permanently in the glove compartment, about 6,000 tunes, which along with satellite radio, keeps me rockin'. Full speed iPod controls are on the deck, so the iPod stays out of sight, and always charged.

Both amps are located underneath the front passenger seat. Had to remove the seat adjustment lever to make room, so seat is locked in farthest back position. Hey, I never sit there, and people always complain about foot room on that side anyway.

Also installed a PVC plate to the front and back for the seat base, to keep anyone from accidentally kicking the equipment, and also to hide it.

I do not use the factory speakers in the rear doors or pillars. I prefer the sound coming from the front, except for the sub. OEM speaker quality also does not compare either. So the 8" speakers are installed in the door, using custom panels that replace the plastic containers that come stock on the LT doors.

The 3" and tweeters are in the dash behind the OEM grilles. The 3" was adapted into the existing speaker location, and for the tweeters, a new opening was carved out with a Dremel, leaving the top of the grille intact. It's only visible looking directly down on the grille, otherwise, it looks like OEM.

Active crossovers are located underneath the drivers seat. Existing frame provides adequate protection from feet.

I built a sealed box for the sub, using 1" mdf - which together with the JL1-W7 is HEAVY. Using a sealed box gives punchier sound, and a smaller enclosure, both of which I prefer. Less effecient, but still plenty of thump for me. After trying different locations and orientations for the box, the best sound seemed to be having it on a pedestal, loading downward, located at the rear of the van. Turns out it fits behind the rear seat, and being grey carpet, and with the dark windows, it can hardly be seen from outside, or inside for that matter. The box underneath the sub contains the spare tire, which was necessary when I installed the roll pan and moved the hitch up behind the roll pan. Details in a different (future) post. Below photo with rear seat up.

Rear seat up.

This downward loading orientation also protects the speaker, which is inside the opening below.

Rear seat down.

View from inside.

Satellite radio antenna installed through the 3rd brake light on top.

Lil' blue flashing light (armed) for the security system located just above Alping head unit.

Electrical boxes for satelite radio and security system wedged between the doghouse and driver's side instrument cluster (photo taken during V8 swap).

This system makes driving the van a pleasure. And since recently doing a V8 swap of a RamJet 350, there now some background rumble competing with the audio system at times. Not a bad situation. Possible solution would be to use more muffler on the motor (what a shame that would be) or crank the volume on the stereo. I choose the latter.

Thank's for "listening".
delsafari

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Awesome post and pics delsafari!
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

I'm assuming, just the factory original, for now....am/fm cassette, but have a face off cd unit with outlet for mp3/ipod????? another of thousands of things that are over my head.... I haven't even hooked up a car radio, in twenty years or so......
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

I've got a pioneer head unit and otherwise everything else is stock. I also have a MEGAPHONE!!!!!! does that count????

Oh and a 100W PA horn under the hood hooked upto the PA out put on my CB that I have been known to lock on and leave my stereo playing over while working outside the van.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!