Audio upgrade

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Audio upgrade

Post by MountainManJoe »

I have the stock 8-channel speaker system, and it sounds OK, but sometimes I wish I could get a bit more umph out of it, and without the bass frequencies getting all distorted and flatulent. I have an aftermarket deck that puts out 50Wx4 max / 25Wx4 continuous. Is that enough power or would I need an external amp? I am well versed in electronics, but I know next to nothing about car audio. What is the most effective upgrade without spending a lot of money? Maybe some 3-way speakers?

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Audio upgrade

Post by astroturf »

I have once or twice also thought of an upgrade.
But, I do not like the confusing buttonoligy of new head units.
So, My thoughts were to upgrade all speakers first and see whether or not that would satisfy me.

Just my thoughts, Speakers first, Head Unit second.

Jim

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

astroturf wrote:But, I do not like the confusing buttonoligy of new head units.
I am totally with you on that one, Jim. I'm a fan of big knobs myself ( :yikes: )
Unfortunately, a bunch of bulbs burnt out in my Delco stereo, and I couldn't be bothered to repair them and new ones are so cheap. Plus my new deck lets me play MP3s.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

timelessbeing wrote:Plus my new deck lets me play MP3s.
I have seen new decks that dont even have a cd or cassette, just a USB port and an SD Card reader, plus AM/FM on the deluxe model.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Mine plays everything :D
(viewtopic.php?f=63&t=4641)

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

i have a pretty simple Kenwood receiver/cd player in my 2004. The old radio (strangely, also a Kenwood) sounded really weak through the stock door speakers. I changed out the radio and added my old passive Bazooka Tube subwoofer behind the front seat. The radio is setup for a 4 speaker system, 2 front and 2 back. I hooked up the fronts to the door speakers and both rear channels to the sub (it is made for this) and the sound is great now. I almost could not believe how much better it was. And its pretty balanced, gets as loud as I need and plenty of bass.

So i would see about adding a good sub box. Doesn't have to be a big one, just well designed and that should give you some more uuumph.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I want the sound to be "full spectrum", not just boom boom boom, and I'd prefer to avoid any extra boxes too. The stock speaker locations do a pretty good job of surrounding you and filling the space with sound. It looks like you can fit some decent woofers in the back doors though. Just need more output all around.

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

oh, i dont do the boom boom boom, i like my sound balanced. The Bazooka does a great job for only being an 8" speaker being powered bu the head unit with no extra amps.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Being a old Audio/sound reinforcement pro these just plain out work.A vented folded horn who's range could be run from 20hz's to 12,000hz's and doesn't require alot of power because the way the box loads them.

I am going to try to figure a way to integrate two of these in the overhead above the drivers/passenger seats in the high top running them on a active crossover running them from 20hz to 200hz or 250hz as bass speakers.

The statement of me being a sound reinforcement pro was that was for about 20 yrs how I made my living until 1985 when I retired from touring.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

:yikes: that's humungous.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

The sine wave of bass notes require long horns.This being a folded horn is efficient to 20hz and because of it's design and can be adjusted in depth.What is pictured is only 6" deep.Full stereo sounding because it is vented. :guitar:
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

krsowles
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by krsowles »

FWIW: I love music! I always am listening to an mp3 connected to a stereo or headphones depending on conditions. The choke on my van doesn't work right, as well as a few other minor things but I know it'll get me there. That being said, one of the first things I did was replace stock radio for head unit with aux input in front and upgraded all speakers with ones that fit in factory locations except the two in the back door. Please, do not confuse me with a 20 yo ricer but I also install powered subwoofers in my vehicles. When used responsibly, they add tremendous sound. The 20 yo in me loves to crank it up sometimes when I think no one is looking! Also helps get down interstate with top off in my Jeep! I digress; I did not put a sub in the van yet but added two 6x9s in nice boxes under middle bench that I need for my kids. They are not mounted so i can move them if I take the bench out. With the seat in they fit very well and don't move around. The sound, tho is so nice I may not add a sub! My head unit was also 50 x 4, plenty loud. The upgraded speakers added so much that i was very surprised. As far as knobbys go, I like to tune in Tokyo too! Modern head units can be daunting but I look for ones that are simpler to operate. Keeps my eyes on road where they belong.
:cheers:
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

krsowles wrote:Keeps my eyes on road where they belong.
:cheers:
Amen Brother...

Any reason you did not replace the rear door speakers?

Hey, and hate to be a bother, but what kind of speakers did you use?

Thanks, Jim

krsowles
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by krsowles »

I didn't do the back speakers because I didn't have any more! I used pioneer speakers that i already had. I just looked but I don't have the boxes, sorry. I know that they were all 3 way speakers with some shiney chrome-looking plastic in the middle that when the sun catches it just right on the front dash I get glare! I need to pull them out and paint it black or cover with tape. Something. Doesn't sound like much but when the sun hits it just right I blind myself. The back pillars were a pair of pioneers from a jeep front dash long since parted out. Also 3-way and sound real nice for being older. The 6x9s however, were pyramids. Don't really know much about them but they sound nice too! If/when the sub goes in I want to try and get a 10" behind driver's side back wheel so as not to lose space. Hope this helps, sorry i don't have specific model #s. I can get pics when I fix the front ones if you would like. Kelly
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Awesome, thanks. I think I will start with a couple of good 3-ways ( :muhaha: who knew car audio has so many good innuendoes).
I don't need anything too fancy, just something with decent frequency response. What brand will give me good bang for my buck?