Idler arm removal tool and recommended grease?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
rlyoung
I am smitten with my van

Idler arm removal tool and recommended grease?

Post by rlyoung »

I'm taking back responsibility for my 2001 AWD after becoming suspicious of the quality of maintenance I have left to dealers and the like, and which costs a fortune. I enjoy doing what I can. 106k miles on it, mostly long trips.

A pair of Moog idler arms are in the mail and now, how to remove the old ones. Harbor Freight has a forged (not cast) tool that has pretty good reviews, including one from an Astro owner who said it worked well for him for idler arms. I might have a 2 or 3 leg puller around, but I don't think it will be the right shape to get where it need to in the joint. Any reason why I would go with it? YouTube reviews make it look good. item#99849

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarte ... 99849.html

Then, the grease question. Usually you just read 'make sure you grease them' but not much on the specifics of the grease. Like most things, opinions abound, but one I encountered praised black molly (SM-2) as a tough grease for idler arms that hangs in there. I have some oldish red, probably Mobile 1 in a gun, and another gun with I'm not sure what in it. Will just about any thing do as long as you keep it up?

Thanks , all.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Idler arm removal tool and recommended grease?

Post by Herbie »

Not sure on the tool. Regarding the grease, I typically try to use a red marine grease, and I've always been told to inject it until you see some coming out. Others probably know better and hopefully they'll chime in.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Whatever you start with - stick with. Bad things happening when different greases are mixed in a bearing. I guess there are some incompatibility issues.There are basically two types of additives for metal wear that you need to consider. Lithium and Molybdenum Sulfide (Moly). These two additives are not compatible, so don't mix them.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
rlyoung
I am smitten with my van

Post by rlyoung »

Thanks. I assume the idler arms will be somewhat pre-lubricated from Moog, so I'll see what they recommend so to not mix types.

Topic author
rlyoung
I am smitten with my van

Post by rlyoung »

I didn't contact Moog, but I think I'll be going with Mystik JT6 No 2 Hi Temp Multi-Purpose EP lithium complex w/ 3% Moly. Good specks re wear and washout. Should handle idler arms and more from what I can see. Given that this and many other greases have lithium and some moly, I'm a little confused by your caution against mixing the two components?

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Since we are talking grease, mine always melts out of the gun when sitting, is there a proper way to store them, or does my generic gun suck. I just use the red stuff as well, let us know what you think of that stuff, I figure as long as you are greasing often you are good, most people don't even know to grease.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Wiley wrote:Since we are talking grease, mine always melts out of the gun when sitting, is there a proper way to store them, or does my generic gun suck. I just use the red stuff as well, let us know what you think of that stuff, I figure as long as you are greasing often you are good, most people don't even know to grease.
Wiley, I saw a little "helpful shop tip" photo in some magazine or online somewhere that made a "rack" for the grease gun out of some cuts of PVC pipe mounted to a board. It would hold the gun upright, which is supposed to help with the leaking. I need to do this, badly, because I too have a greasy spot on the floor where my gun leaks...

Ah, here's one example:
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.