Steering Gear Box leaking. . .

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
madslammer
I get chills without my van.

Steering Gear Box leaking. . .

Post by madslammer »

Last week I installed an Overland Vans' 2" lift block kit on my 1987 2wd Astro.
It all went well and looks great, but a couple of days after this the steering gearbox started leaking fluid from the top seal area. I had noticed that the steering felt kind of hard, but i thought it had to do with the lift and that was a normal condition. Then the steering sudenly felt lighter again, and that day was when the leaking started. I tried a "miracle" leak sealer that the auto parts guys recomended and that made the leak worse. . . #-o
Not sure but at first I thought the body might have moved a little more to one side than the other. The van is running straight, no vibration, no strange noises, etc. . . .

Anyone have had this happen?
Thanks.
'97 Astro 2wd, lowered 4" w/Belltech spindles and drop leafs.
'87 Astro 2wd, lifted, pretty close to 4" all around.

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Re: Steering Gear Box leaking. . .

Post by Water Boy »

My steering gear unit only leaks out the top when I remove the cap off the fluid reservoir.
Barely drips a drop otherwise.
Take the cap off to check the level and there is an 18" puddle in less than 2 hours.
So ... I don't take the cap off anymore.

Don't know if this is your problem but hey ... any info is usually useful info.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

zook94

Post by zook94 »

What does the kit you installed do to address the 2 inches of extra length the steering shaft would need to make up for the lift? Usually on GM products, there are nylon inserts in 2 channels on the rod, that allow for the steering shaft to "collapse", in case of an accident. My best guess from your description is that nothing was done to address this problem. The simplest solution would be to apply heat to the steering shaft where the two nylon inserts are, causing them to spew out flaming hot bits of nylon, but allowing the shaft to be extended to the proper length needed to reach the box with the proper angularity of the U-joint at the top of the box. After you fix this shortcoming, some stop leak may help with the fluid loss, but as it stands now, the input shaft is wobbling around in a funny ovalled shape as the joint comes closer to each apex in the U-joint. Centered shafts should put equal pressure on the seal at all sides all the time, fixing the problem.

Maybe.
http://www.misfitoffroad.com

'93 EXT 2wd 5.0 (for now)

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

And it could just be age. Rather than trying the bandaid fix you'd be ahead of the game if you replace the seal.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
madslammer

Post by madslammer »

zook94 wrote:What does the kit you installed do to address the 2 inches of extra length the steering shaft would need to make up for the lift? Usually on GM products, there are nylon inserts in 2 channels on the rod, that allow for the steering shaft to "collapse", in case of an accident. My best guess from your description is that nothing was done to address this problem. The simplest solution would be to apply heat to the steering shaft where the two nylon inserts are, causing them to spew out flaming hot bits of nylon, but allowing the shaft to be extended to the proper length needed to reach the box with the proper angularity of the U-joint at the top of the box. After you fix this shortcoming, some stop leak may help with the fluid loss, but as it stands now, the input shaft is wobbling around in a funny ovalled shape as the joint comes closer to each apex in the U-joint. Centered shafts should put equal pressure on the seal at all sides all the time, fixing the problem.

Maybe.
Man, that seems to be the problem. We did the lift and the steering shaft extended about 1 1/2" but when it goes around looks fuuny. I have to check again to make sure it's still doing that "wobbling", as I said, the steering felt hard but then it started feeling better. Maybe the inserts broke or something like that. Do you have a pic of where the insert are, 'cause i have no clue. I might give this a try, 'cause I have a spare gear box and don't want to break that one also. . .
Thanks.

Topic author
madslammer

Post by madslammer »

Smiliesafari wrote:And it could just be age. Rather than trying the bandaid fix you'd be ahead of the game if you replace the seal.

That could be a reason also, I have a spare steering gear box, but I need to be sure before I install it. It ain't easy to find spare parts here anymore. . .
at least at reasonable prices. . .
Thanks.

zook94

Post by zook94 »

my van is buried under almost 2 feet of snow at the moment, maybe someone fron a warmer climate with their grille or fender off can snap a pic for you? Sorry.
http://www.misfitoffroad.com

'93 EXT 2wd 5.0 (for now)

Topic author
madslammer

Post by madslammer »

zook94 wrote:my van is buried under almost 2 feet of snow at the moment, maybe someone fron a warmer climate with their grille or fender off can snap a pic for you? Sorry.
Man, I love the Tropics. . .the sun, the beach. . . :-s :yawinkle:
Now seriously. . . I meant a pic or a illustration of where these plastic parts are located on the steering shaft. . . so I know where to look. . .
8-[

Topic author
madslammer

Post by madslammer »

UPDATE! ! ! !
I took a look at the steering box last night and there was no oil around the top seal. No oil spots on the floor, either. :-k So, I took it to the club meeting and some of the guys that usually work on my vans looked at it and there were no leaks found. :-s The fluid level in the reservoir is ok. :rolleyes:
I left the van at home yesterday and took the 97 to work, I figure that by letting the van at home the remains of the sealant did their job and stopped the leaks. \:D/ Anyway, the steering shaft's rotation seems fine, no weird noises, no vibrations. . . I think we can call this one. . . DONE!

=D>
:partyman:

Topic author
madslammer

Post by madslammer »

madslammer wrote:UPDATE! ! ! !
I took a look at the steering box last night and there was no oil around the top seal. No oil spots on the floor, either. :-k So, I took it to the club meeting and some of the guys that usually work on my vans looked at it and there were no leaks found. :-s The fluid level in the reservoir is ok. :rolleyes:
I left the van at home yesterday and took the 97 to work, I figure that by letting the van at home the remains of the sealant did their job and stopped the leaks. \:D/ Anyway, the steering shaft's rotation seems fine, no weird noises, no vibrations. . . I think we can call this one. . . DONE!

=D>
:partyman:
Well, it's leaking again. . . ](*,)
Not as much as before, but it's leaking from the top seal area. . . :-s Again. . .

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

There are seal kits available. It's not a real hard job. Bite the bullet, man. And you'll have a great feeling of accomplishing something. :yawinkle:
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
madslammer

Post by madslammer »

Smiliesafari wrote:There are seal kits available. It's not a real hard job. Bite the bullet, man. And you'll have a great feeling of accomplishing something. :yawinkle:
I guess I'll have to give that a try, then. . . [-o<

Thanks. . .

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

madslammer wrote:
Smiliesafari wrote:There are seal kits available. It's not a real hard job. Bite the bullet, man. And you'll have a great feeling of accomplishing something. :yawinkle:
I guess I'll have to give that a try, then. . . [-o<

Thanks. . .
Was curious how you made out with your steering problem? I'm having some issues with mine.It steers real hard,doesn't seem to be leaking either! :-k
Thanks, Bill
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Bomber Z
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Bomber Z »

Thought I would drag this out. I hit a curb after following O:) some guys that tried to steal my wife's car after pitting them off the road. After pointing out to the police which way they ran off and letting them chase them down. I got back to my Astro to find a big chunk out of the rim and the steering wheel twisted 30* off. I thought I just knocked the steering linkage out and I would be doing some adjusting to the linkage. The next day I came out to a puddle of PS fluid in way drive way. I was like great. So I ordered the seal kit and will be changing the gear box seal. :axe: I just finished rebuilding the front end on my 01 Blazer. Well once I'm finished with this project Ill post how it went on here. Hope it won't be a PITA. :whistle: :whistle:

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Good luck! Check your wheel bearings too, you might find one is now loose causing the steering wheel to be off.