Overland Vans 4-5" lift for '85-'94 install

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Overland Vans 4-5" lift for '85-'94 install

Post by snapple »

Okay, thought so.Just wanted to verify it first.With the 2" lift spring pack that came with my OLV kit,my rearend is about 1" higher than the front. But I haven't put in the hi lift torsion keys yet. So this is with the stock keys maxed out.
I had my ball joints replaced before I did the lift by a shop.This was before I knew that I would need to have them mount the upper ball joint to the bottom of the control arm! ](*,)
Learning as I go here! #-o When I set up the appointment for the alignment,they assured me it would be no problem to do my van! I'm guessing(haven't taken apart yet to verify),that on the drivers side thay removed the knockout for the camber adjustment,but on the passenger side did not. The pass. side has alot more negative camer than the drivers side.Now there trying to tell me I need custom control arms to get the proper alignment! :^o So my question is,how difficult was it to remove the camber limiting stops out?
Good luck with your axle blocks dilemna,look forward to seeing pics of your van! :supz:
Thanks, Bill
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

jmoney
I am merely driving my van

Post by jmoney »

I was pretty busy this past week so we didnt get as much done as I would have liked on the lift project.
After discussing a few options I decided to just start fresh on the rear end by cutting off all of the spring and shock mounts.

I purchased some standard spring perches and added some plate to the top to increase the surface area lengthwise. This was necessary as we decided we were going to relocate the rearend back about 1-1/2" as to have it centered in the wheel well opening. The other reason was to accommodate the 2" cast steel lift blocks that we also purchased to get the rear to the desired height but would need to bridge the difference between the center mounting points of the springs and the now center of our rear end 1-1/2" rearward. The decision to modify the rear end also allowed for us to keep the spring on the center shackle hole for future adjustment if ever necessary.

Holding it all together is a set of custom u bolts I had made up at a local spring shop and top spring plates out of 3/8" plate steel. I will try to get some pics uploaded of the completed setup in the next few days. Also made up some shock tabs and mounted the new rancho 5000s on top of the rear end.

Did I mention it was a busy week? Our decision to change the rear end also created another problem. The rear drive shaft was now too short. So I had to have a new shaft made up. It turned out nice and will be even better if it doesnt vibrate. [-o<

We also notched out the cross member to accommodate our newly fabricated hybrid s10 blazer / astro front drive shaft.
It was sweet using the plasma cutter to tackle the task. Then rolling a piece of steel to weld back in neatly.

Almost finished the 80s Suburban manual 4x4 floor shifter install but still need to finish connecting the 2 linkages together ( more bracket fabricating ahead) plus I will have to do some floor patching because the guy that was helping me cut the hole in the wrong place even though he "know what he was doing" and got a offended when I asked him about it while he was busy zipping away in the wrong spot ](*,)

Finally got around to installing the Posi Lok front Differential cable. I made the decision to eliminate all of the s10 bracketry and just connect the two cables together with a pseudo clip system we made up and mounted to the back of the lower radiator frame support.

Picked up a set of the clear corner lights off of "fleaBay" for a song. They even came with the 4 amber bulbs I will need to install with them to keep Johnny long arm happy. I also am planning on getting some new headlight doors and a grill to really freshen up the frontend. They are just cheap enough to say what the hell.

Also tackled the job of hitting the front fenders with the cut off wheel to trim the bottom corners to accommodate the brand spanking new 31" M/T tires and 15x8 wheels. All in all it went very well but this is not for the faint of heart guys that like to keep every thing factory fresh. And if you think you will be able to run 31x10.50 tires without trimming...it aint happening. They were rubbing front and back when turning on our test fit. So... I basically cut pie shapes into the fenders and bent the inner lip back under the newly shortened outer panel. I may weld it up but are thinking about using panel bond to prevent any possible bare metal on the back from the welds burning through and causing potential hidden rust prone areas. And the great thing is that I am going to install a set of the 3" rubber flexy flares so all of my trimming will be hidden :muhaha:

So thats about it for now.

I have to get some more pictures and way too many loose ends finished like installing my tranny cooler, exhaust, custom rear bumper/tire carrier, and getting my A/C working again so I can finally get this rig headin' down the road. And I still have concerns about the front end aligning up especially the front CV axles being stressed out with the greater angles they reside at now. But Ill address that in the next few days.

JoeJITSU
I am smitten with my van

Post by JoeJITSU »

Very Nice ride. We got our lift kit and will be doing this soon as well. My wife has the 95. One thing that I did notice....Your lift looks allot higher than the other 4-5 inch lifts out there. Secret? lol

Topic author
snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

JoeJITSU wrote:Your lift looks allot higher than the other 4-5 inch lifts out there. Secret? lol
No secret,must be an illusion! Good Luck with your lift! :cheers:
DHC Rock rails
Fiamma awning

George1571

Post by George1571 »

Hi. sorry my english my lenguage is spanish..your van is nice lift. what rims you are. you have spacer. and total of lift. 4-5? thanks...

Topic author
snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

American Racing NASCAR rims,not sure if they make them still. Lift was 4".
DHC Rock rails
Fiamma awning