An note on using C-clamp when adjusting torsion keys...

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

An note on using C-clamp when adjusting torsion keys...

Post by Herbie »

This I had time weekend to make a little headway on some jobs I had on my AWD van. One of my activities was to put back in the turns I had taken out of the torsion-bar preload while trying to get the front CV axle out. Per normal "procedure" here, I used a C-clamp to hold the key so that I wasn't turning the adjuster bolt directly against the key. Every time I've done this, I've just used whatever c-clamp was at hand (I have a big mix). Somewhere on another project the spinning anvil on one of my Harbor Freight clamps popped off and wouldn't go back on, so I figured "Hey, that's now my dedicated torsion-bar adjusting clamp", since the ball without the anvil would fit the key perfectly. Whoops. Looks like I'm back to making sure I use a Craftsman or better clamp for this job (click for enlargement):

Image Image Image
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: An note on using C-clamp when adjusting torsion keys...

Post by mdmead »

Did it pop quickly, or go slowly?
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: An note on using C-clamp when adjusting torsion keys...

Post by Herbie »

Slowly. In fact, I assume it sort of "tore" and opened up until the key was back to resting on the adjuster screw because I think in retrospect there was increased effort to make the adjustment. I didn't even notice the failure until I had the clamp back on the driveway. Perhaps if things had been "tighter" it might have failed more spectacularly, but as it was, it didn't have far to go.

Not easy to see in the picture is that the "C" is no longer flat in the plane, either. It's curled sideways somewhat. Anyhow, lesson learned!
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.