Dutch door weatherstripping

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Dutch door weatherstripping

Post by sfeaver »

For those who are getting tired of wet carpet due to the back doors leaking, I found a place that sells the seals and are OEM GM stuff. It is part numbers 15046999 - $82.50 for the left door, 15047000 -119.91 for the right. Since this last year I have had the seats and carpet out three times to dry, it is worth 200$ plus shipping to me!

Thats a lot cheaper then the dealership wanted around here even with a big discount!

The place is called Monster Parts Online, their website is: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... eid=214632

Scott

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Dutch door weatherstripping

Post by crash »

good to know Scott.. what really gets me is what changed from 93/94 on the dutch doors to my 99 for example??

both the 93 and 94 have no leaks at all around the dutch doors. with my 99 I have an annual summer carpet removal and 3 days laying of a bbq and lawn chairs dry out period. this past summer the underpadding started falling off the carpet... I dried it out.. rolled it up and put it in my basement and put some indoor outdoor black stuff that I got at walmart cheap (6'x9') .. I think I got like 3 of those and cut them to roughly cover most of the area that gets traffic from behind the front seats to the back doors.

best I can track my leak down to is right across the very bottom where theres no lip. the water runs down the edges (sides) of the dutch doors and along the weather stripping on the bottom, pools in the corners and trickles in. problem being that the weather stripping is designed to meet the plastic trim piece that runs across the back at the edge of the carpet..... the water runs under that so weather stripping isn't the issue on mine
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

hmmm that's definetly something i need, the wet carpet is a little old....

mine leaks in the same place crash and it looks like it's the weather stripping on the side of the door is were the leak is runs down from the top along the side seeps in and runs the rest of the wawy down on the inside of the weather stripping then pools at the bottom
Last edited by Cobra on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

Holy cow! That is alot cheaper than the stealership! I gonna have to get me some of that!
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Great info, even thou it don`t rain to much here in SoCal, but rubber weather stripping gets fried from the sun overhere. Then it cracks..... and looks fugly, and then when it finally rains.... > It Leaks...!
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

There must be some kind of fix for this.

I have been trying to hunt down a funky odour in the van since last fall and I think I found it !

I was cleaning out the van on the weekend and noticed water in the little wells in the floor where the seats for the very back clip in. Funny thing is that the carpet in the van is dry but when I pulled up a small section by the rear door the underpad is soaked. So much so that when I tried to pull the carpet out of the van I could not lift it ( girly man I know :) ). I ended up taking the van to work and pulling out the carpet with a length of rope and the forklift. Carpet and underpad are up on a stack of skids and there must be a good 1/2 gallon of water on the floor that has run out since yesterday.

I was thinking about removing and leaving off the the piece of trim which transitions from the van floor to the carpet and replacing it with a piece of aluminum bar screwed and siliconed to the floor appx 2" away from the rear door so the water will at least pool by the back door and not soak the carpet.

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

That's a pretty good idea...I am dealing with this crap again and again....
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

I hope it works too. I will try once the carpet dries out. It's still dripping water out of the underpad and there was a good cup or two of water on the floor this morning ( and this has been sitting on a stack of skids in the warehouse since Sunday !

I gotta figure out how to dry it faster before it starts getting mouldy. It's about 15 deg C in the warehouse and the forcast is for showers and clouds for the next 2 days so I can't put it outside.

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

squeegee that water out...I used the blade of a hand cart
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Same situation here. Soaked underpad. I noticed it when I was crawling into the back of the van and where my knee was the water would start to come through. I have seriously considered taking the carpet out, cutting off the section just behind the back seat and getting someone to seam up the end of that. Then paint from that point back with some sort of bed liner coating.

Anyone replaced the weatherstripping yet? How did it go and did it solve the problem? It seems the weatherstripping on mine is dry and shiny which would explain its lack of seal.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

well I have left the carpet out for the last couple of weeks to see where it's coming in. I found that in my case the plastic strip accross the back on the floor which transitions the metal floor up to the level of the carpet sits on a bead of butyl tape. The water seems to run down the back of the doors and in thru an 1/8th inch gap on either side and back into the van at the jack storage point and under the rear A\C which could explain why my carpet was more wet in those areas.

I have yet to break out the caulking to address this issue, and I will snap some pics when I do.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Blacknome...gonna need to replaced the door seals. That is why the water is getting inside the door to the area where the plastic covers the body seam. I had the same problem once in the SPB. No amount of caulking, silicone or tape would fix the leak. New seals and it still doesn't leak (that I know of).
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

hmm not liking the sound of that. I have kinda gotten used to driving around with no rear carpet over the last few weeks. It was a little loud at first and worse when raining but I am seriously thinking of putting down some truck bed liner and some rubber backed mats ( like you have at the front door of an office to wipe your boots off on ).

My truck is used 90% for work and deliveries anyways.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

OK first off, sorry but I have hi-jacked the post...... but the problem is fixed

After driving the van for 3+ months now with no carpet, I figured out that the water is leaking in thru here.

^^^ It;s kinda hard to describe but the water runs down the hatch and where the hatch meets the dutch doors some of the water transitions and runs along the weatherstrip to the bottom corners. As you can see in the pic above there is a gap between the trim and the lip in the steel ( covered in black plastic ). This gap should have been covered by the 1/2" wide strip of Butyl Tape which is running both inside the van from side to side and/or by a parallel strip of Foam Tape which is on the underside of the plastic trim. I ended up with a good 1/8"-1/4" gap in-between the 2 strips in my van [-X . Doesn't sound like much but this would let a majority of all that water running down the inside of the back door,around the foam and butyl tape and soak the underpad of my carpet.

So, originally I just wanted to make a "dam" of silicone to keep the water out and I was just going to live with the problem. I have found though that with that bead of silicone in there the water has been staying out and it has been working really good. I got confident and went ahead and put the carpet back in last week ( without the rear trim peice just so I can keep and eye on things ). I have tested it with the hose and even took the van thru the carwash and that bead of silicone is keeping the water on the outside portion of the van and not letting the water back in the vehicle and soaking the carpet again.

See how the water puddles on the outside now ?

So really I just wanted to update my progress in hopes that someone will stumble across this post and have a fix for thier van and help them out ( which is what this site is all about !! ) Thank you AstroSafariVans for all of your help towards me over the years.

And in closing I feel like a dummy because I could have fixed this in 5 mins by using a small strip of Butyl on either side to fill the gap left by the installers to begin with. Instead I have multiple hours into removing, cleaning and re-installing the carpet and trim and everything else. But one nice thing is that my van doesn't smell funky anymore and the carpets will stay dry !!! \:D/

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

So when you re-install the trim this still works? Hummmm. I think I will have to take this apart and see what I can see.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/