Dutch door weatherstripping

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Dutch door weatherstripping

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

blacknome wrote:OK first off, sorry but I have hi-jacked the post...... but the problem is fixed

And in closing I feel like a dummy because I could have fixed this in 5 mins by using a small strip of Butyl on either side to fill the gap left by the installers to begin with.
I just want to clarify for anyone wanting to do the same thing. This is NOT the proper fix. There is not supposed to be water there at all. That trim piece with the double sided tape was not designed to keep water out. I do agree it is a poor design but, the door seals will keep the water out unless they are bad. I went through this already myself many years ago. Put in new seals and the water stays on the outside completely.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

That is probably the case Dean, but at the same time, have we ever been stopped from modifying the design of these vans to make it better. I'm not convinced this approach makes it better, but with a little thought, it might be the first step to making it better.

As for me, right now there are mechanical things that I need to put money into and the hundreds of dollars needed for new weather stripping needs to go there. That is why a fix like this interests me, even if it only allows me to put of this particular fix until I have other stuff done. It is either this or take the carpet out and listen to my wife complain about the increased noise, and the big piece of carpet in the garage or basement.

I have considered cutting off the back couple of feet of carpet and then taking it in to be hemmed so I can just take out the part behind the back seat when it gets wet until such time as I can afford new stripping. The fix here would probably be less expensive as a stop gap.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i ordered the weather stripping for my doors and it's sitting in my living room waiting for me to install. ( guess i should have took it to neco.....)
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Rileysowner wrote:That is probably the case Dean, but at the same time, have we ever been stopped from modifying the design of these vans to make it better. I'm not convinced this approach makes it better, but with a little thought, it might be the first step to making it better.
It probably will stop the wet carpet until the sealant lifts. For sure it a very inexpensive fix but is not the proper fix. Will it work...sure.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

My thing is by the time I get the stuff to Canada it would be getting close to 100 times the price. I don't have that sort of money around right now. Since my leak is very recent, I don't want the carpet to get any further damage if something like a several dollar tube of caulking can stop it until I can save up the money.
Jim

Topic author
sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Ive replaced all of the rear door seals and water still pools up in the carpet. It is a lousy design, and we wonder why GM is going out of business? Peoples vans have leaked since new and they didnt ever make a change.

The only thing left for me to try is to make the top door close tigher at the top.

As for shipping to canada, I got my stuff from PA and is wasnt much to have it shipped up here, maybe 20-30 bucks.

Scott

Merlin
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Merlin »

When I worked at Chevy dealerships the main leak with the dutch doors, we saw this a lot, was the top seals around the upper door, the door that is mostly glass. Even when the seal looked good replacing it almost always fixed the leak, even when I would have sworn that it was at the bottom. On the last Astro Van I had that had this same type of leak and I really thought it was the bottom and replaced the bottom seals. It didn’t fix the leak and I was going to try caulking too, not a real fix but to find out if it would fix it temporary, but remembered the upper seal and put it in just because. This fixed the leak. I wouldn’t have tried it unless I had seen it so many times before as that seal is not cheap.
1989 RS Astro, V-8 and maybe a shift it myself tranny, still deciding on this one. Dutch doors, Cad tail lights, shaving the rest now. 12 bolt rear end was in the van when I got it but changing how it sets to lower.

Topic author
sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I have changed the upper seals too. Still frustrated with it, although today we had one hell of a rain come down and only a tiny amount of water was sitting at the back. I did notice a bit of water coming through the lip seal on the very top of the door opening, which touches the top of the door. I guess I did not get enough adheasive underneath it. I dont think thats the cause of the leaking though.

Do you know if there is any adjustment in the top door hinges to move the door closer for a tighter fit at the top? I suspect they are only in round holes with no slot.

Scott

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Holes are round so I don't know if there is a way to adjust the door. Any body guys know how to do Adjust the door?
1989 RS Astro, V-8 and maybe a shift it myself tranny, still deciding on this one. Dutch doors, Cad tail lights, shaving the rest now. 12 bolt rear end was in the van when I got it but changing how it sets to lower.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

Rileysowner wrote:So when you re-install the trim this still works? Hummmm. I think I will have to take this apart and see what I can see.

Yessir, the trim fits back on and keeps the water out. I have not put the screws back in the trim in yet as I am lifting it up and checking the carpet every time it rains to make sure that no water has come in. I know this is less than an ideal solution for some, and I know that in the winter the water will freeze in that spot but you know it has done that for the almost 3 years I have owned the van anyways. If I find that I have a couple hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket then I may "consider" new seals but I am very happy at this point to have the water no longer making my carpet wet and in all honesty I am doubtful I would buy new seals even if I had the money. There is a short list of things that "need" to be replaced on the van now and the seals are not one of those "need to be done " things. Silicone is working fine for me but if I were to do it again I would have bought a roll of Butyl from an autoglass place. I am all about the " make it work for as little labour and money as possible " as both my time and my money are very valuable to me.

Just my $0.02 Cdn of course !

Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

I know this post is old and musty...but is it too old to dig up? I have the dreaded leak in our van...and since we camp in it nearly every weekend, this wasn't a good thing. Our current budget doesn't have room for new seals all the way around, so I expanded on blackgnome's concept after studying our leak issue for several hours. Since we lift items in and out of the rear of the van frequently, I was concerned that a "dam" of silicone would get bumped the wrong way and peel off....so I went to ACE, purchased a 10 foot section of aluminum corner channel or cornerbead, cut it to size, drilled it and screwed it down tight over a thick bead of permanent aluminum adhering roofing caulk and then caulked both seams with the same caulk (lifetime guarantee). The "dam" is now aluminum screwed tightly to the metal floor of the van completely filled with caulk and with caulk on both sides. It works like a charm. I'll get some photos up today if I can...I know this isn't the proper fix, and I still advise everyone with this issue to first replace door seals, but this could be a stop gap if your seals go bad. I also drilled two drainage holes for the water to drain off the bumper...
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT
All about me, my girl, & our van with loads of pics:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5281

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Photos would be good.
Jim

Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

Promise pics on Sunday...headed out for the weekend.....
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT

Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

Ok...so took some photos of the work...after a weekend of snow...melt...snow...melt...we're staying 100% dry. As you look at the photos, you'll see that I used some L-shaped aluminum channel from ACE, some aluminum specific caulk from ACE and some metal screws. The aluminum channel was cut to fit tightly between the metal tabs or "walls" that the rubber edging going vertical along the sides of the van attaches to. Then, I layed down a thick bead of the aluminum caulk, then pressed the channel down onto the caulk teepee style...then I drilled holes in the aluminum channel and the metal floor of the van and screwed in metal screws quite tightly to hold that aluminum channel down securely. Then I aluminum caulked the daylights out of both sides or seams of the channel where it contacts the metal floor of the van. Also caulked the seam where the aluminum butts up against those "metal walls" on either side. Caulk job looks horrible, but works extrememly well. Water drains out of the two holes I drilled in the metal floor/bumper of the van just behind the joint where the metal "walls" and the aluminum channel butts up against each other. Also, remember, if you have wet carpet in the summer, and you have rear a/c, reach underneath the drivers' side rear corner of the van and squeeze the rubber drain weep and if it is clogged, water will stream out of there. Anyway, hope this helps to build on blackgnome's concept a little. Almost forgot to mention that since we are leaving off our plastic trim piece, it left holes in the floor of the van, so you can see in the photos that I used rivets and caulk to plug those holes. Trimmed the carpet, removed and discarded the pad, and purchased some new synthetic stuff at Lowes, and put that in on TOP of the carpet to sleep in...check the area for leaks every day. So far, so very good :bounce:

~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT

mtrhead79
I get chills without my van.

Post by mtrhead79 »

i know this is a old thread. the link at the 1st post is dead. my wifes 01 safari leaks and does anyone know where i can get the weather stripping.
john 79 camaro, 01 safari, 00 astro , 94 caprice wagon lt1, 89 safari gt