Replacing side sliding door, how do I switch popout glass?

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
bamboopatch5
I am merely driving my van

Replacing side sliding door, how do I switch popout glass?

Post by bamboopatch5 »

2000 Astro LS with dented side sliding door with pop out window. I got a replacement door at a PickAPart jy for $50, no glass or upholstered panel or interior trim (I've got those on dented door). My question is how to switch the glass onto the new door. I've searched the forums, only brief hints on this subject. Someone mentioned drilling out the top rivets on the window hinge-anyone done a installation by this method? Any details would be appreciated!
I recently bought this Astro van with 124k miles, well used and in need of attention. Thanks to this forum I've replaced door handles, power lock solenoids, checked out what shocks looked good (got Monroe Sensatrac, nicer ride), got overload springs (haven't installed the SuperSprings), etc etc. You Tube is great too. Mel

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Replacing side sliding door, how do I switch popout glas

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I have done the side pop out glass replace.
I tried very haard to get the screws out of the top 2 positions with a screwdriver.
Those screws have some sort of glue on them from factory and resist coming out.
The ones I could not unscrew, I drilled out. Be very carefull no to use too large of a drill bit.

In the end I said :butthead: to Chevy, and made up washers and screws to fix the ones I drilled thru, and the swap was a snap once I ruled out original GM parts.

The screws and special plastic bits are dealer items only. The stealership, when I priced out new bits, lived up to it's nickname "steralership" above and beyond the call of duty !!
Some of the parts are only available special order, and minimum full bag quantity. It was gonna cost me over a hundred bucks to replace 4 nut/screw washer combos from Chevy simply cuz they would force me to but 10 times more than I need, and of course the price of anything at the stealership is just a joke, even before they refuse to sell you 1 of something.
They would only get it in for me if I buy a full bag of 10 or more. !
Maybe the stealership in your area is less thief oriented in its sales approach, but that was my pop put glass experience with my local Chevy Dealer "Baljet GM" in Duncan BC. Way to go Baljet .
Now I understand why the Baljet family lives in a royal sized mansion surrounded by many acres, right on the ocean.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
bamboopatch5

Post by bamboopatch5 »

Yes, while at the junk yard I tried to unscrew the window fasteners with no luck, wouldn't budge and stripped the phillips head. So I was wondering if drilling the screws out might be the to go. Thank you Doyoulikeitthere for you response.
But I'm still wondering if drilling out the top rivets on the hinge and then riveting the whole window assembly also works??

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Sounds reasonable enough, should work fine.
You will have to remove all of the interior trim to get in there. So in your case your already there.
I drilled a couple of the phillips screws and backed up the new ones with some rivet washers that fit into the plastic cups..
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I just had my window replaced and had the same issue with not being able to back out those screws. They are factory lock-tited. I took a soldering iron and held the iron on the head of the screw for a minute. They came right out!
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

If you look in the how to or pinned topics there should be a post I did on swapping the rear windows. The same basic steps should apply. It should be easy to put new rivets in the new door as you have factory holes in place you will not have to drill mount holes.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.