UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS: The new URL for the site is CHEVYGMCVANS.COM

See the "Announcements" section for more 2021 forum update details

Problem with wiring in LED brake lights on my camper

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Problem with wiring in LED brake lights on my camper

Post by skippy »

I have an older popup camper that i'm hooking up new LED brake lights on the back for brighter lighting . I'm using a 4 pin connector from the van & with the old lights everything worked but just not bright enough for me . the weird thing is ... i cannot get the brake lights to work . everything else works as should ... right & left directionals , running lights . but no brake lights & when i have the running lights on & you step on the brakes ... even the running lights go out ...WTF !!! i tested the voltage at the back of the van on all 4 pins . the brown lead (running lights ) gives me 12 volts , the yellow & green leads (right & left directionals &brake lights )these give me 12 volts when the directionals are on ... but when i step on the brakes these 2 leads drop to .50 volts ... actually all 3 leads , brown , yellow & green all give me that same .50 volts . i'm thinking this is where my problem is but can't figure out what the problem is .

the yellow & green leads are for directionals & brake lights from everything i've read but i can't find what the voltage should be when the brakes are on . i'm assuming it should be 12volts but who knows . i've checked all my connections & they seem fine & like i said ... when the old lights were hooked up ... i had no problems . i was wondering if something else is needed in the line cuz of the LEDs .

anyone have any ideas ?????

just went back out with a test bulb & tested my 4 pin on the van again ... i get a light on all three leads ... it lights on the brown lead when the headlights are turned on . i get a flashing light on both the yellow & green leads . but when i try for brake lights on the green & yellow i get nothing ..... unless the directionals are on then i can see the light brighten when the brakes are pressed ... but turn the directional off & nothing ! but i do get a brake light from the brown lead .... which is right cuz the normal bulb has 2 elements & both elements light up when you step on the brakes . but i get nothing from the yellow or green leads ... like i should ... unless the directionals are on .

somethings messed up here & now i know why my brake lights weren't as bright as they should have been ... i was only getting brake lights from the one element in the bulb instead of both .

any clues as to where i would start to fix this ???
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Problem with wiring in LED brake lights on my camper

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Not exactly sure where to begin except for starting with the ground. Make sure it is good, maybe even use a temporary jumper. When the brake and/or signals are on only the bigger filament should be on not both filaments. On the LED's I am not sure as I am not familiar with LED trailer lights. Most trailer lighting issues result from poor grounds though.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Thanx Dean ... i'll check that today . does anybody know exactly where in the harness the trailer wiring is spliced in ? my vans rear lights are working as should but the trailer wiring harness seems to be where the problem lies . i would rather not pull the back of the van apart if someone knows where that splice is . thanx Dean & everybody .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

What van are you running? If it's a 96 or newer the splice is in the jack compartment on the right rear corner. If it's the 95 conversion I sold you, there are splices on both sides near the tail lights.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Thanx Dean .... its a 97 . the 95's tranny went again ... & with 325K on the clock & with rust starting to take its toll ..... she sadly got parted out . she did give me & a buddy of mine a good long run . Freakin van ran like a top till the day it got towed off & probably still running :)

DAILY THOUGHT:

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Yup you were right Dean .... bad ground . luckily there was another larger gauge ground in the harness so i just used that one .

DAILY THOUGHT:

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Awesome! :cheers: Too bad about the 95...that was the 2nd favorite van of mine. That thing ran like a raped ape until the end. Loved the way it shifted, rode and would chirp 'em going into 2nd! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned: