How to wire up a NP 236 in place of a 136.

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: How to wire up a NP 236 in place of a 136.

Post by Herbie »

tanvanmanwithaplan wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:53 am
Herbie wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:08 am Manual shift TC makes more sense if you don't have the clutch controlled AWD as an option, but if the NP236 swap had been this well documented when I'd been doing my conversion so many years ago, I'd probably have taken that route.
I would also consider electronic 3 button swap... Encoder motors are easy to replace and cheaper than the linkage kit in either case if it does fail.

Nearly every 4wd vehicle made in the 21st century uses encoder motors. But hey if you want a lever more power to ya. If I had a linkage set up already I would just keep on using it.
I should have been clearer - a manual shifter for the TC makes sense only in the cases when you don't have AWD on the table. If you currently own an NP233, you have a choice to make. I went manual-shift because LiftedAWDAstro had already done the conversion work when I bought his TC, but he also supplied all the electronics stuff, so I might have opted for the 3-button solution if I'd been so inclined. If he or someone else had been selling a complete NP231 "kit" at the time I was buying, I'd have considered that too, because the NP236 swap wasn't a "solved problem" yet.

If you have access to an NP236 and the skills to deal with the electrical installation, then a manual shifter makes zero sense. If I were starting from scratch on a van today, that'd definitely be my choice - it's really the best of all worlds.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
racrx7
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by racrx7 »

Been a minute or two since I last visited this thread, but glad to see there’s still interest in the conversion. Congrats to anyone that has been successful with the conversion. Mine has been trouble free since the conversion and have since installed an S10 front axle with axle disconnect. I use a manual cable to engage the front axle vs the original S10 vacuum actuator.
Cheers! 🍻
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle
Journeys rear spring hangers and shackles, S-10 leaf springs, 2" body lift
255/70-16 BFG KO2's on 16x8 Fuel Revolvers

tanvanmanwithaplan
I am merely driving my van

Post by tanvanmanwithaplan »

My service awd light comes on if I use the AWD and sometimes in 4hi after wheeling for a while in rough terrain. At that point it is stuck in whatever mode the xfer case is in. Anyone else seen this? The 4wd is definitely working.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

I have np231 c with manual cable shift.

Did you try going a few feet in reverse to unload the axles and t case after agressive wheeling?

AP

Snowgeek

Post by Snowgeek »

racrx7 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:29 am Been a minute or two since I last visited this thread, but glad to see there’s still interest in the conversion. Congrats to anyone that has been successful with the conversion. Mine has been trouble free since the conversion and have since installed an S10 front axle with axle disconnect. I use a manual cable to engage the front axle vs the original S10 vacuum actuator.
Cheers! 🍻
racrx7: I am in the same boat. No hiccups what so ever. I too installed the S10 axle and cable actuated disconnect. Where did you locate your cable? I will be honest that I still have mine posi-lok tucked in the engine bay because I can't find a spot that i like it. I have quite liked having the option of 2wd low in a host of towing situations.

Snowgeek
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

Snowgeek

Post by Snowgeek »

tanvanmanwithaplan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:17 am My service awd light comes on if I use the AWD and sometimes in 4hi after wheeling for a while in rough terrain. At that point it is stuck in whatever mode the xfer case is in. Anyone else seen this? The 4wd is definitely working.
Ok little more information might be helpful. It seems that when you say "stuck in whatever mode" that it has happened multiple times in multiple settings? What is the time between when it happens (light goes on and seems stuck) and when the light goes out and you are able to switch modes?

Astrophysics, has a point on the "move the van back a forth a bit" but if the case was under tension the shift typically just stalls out and goes back to the setting it was in and then you try again..... it shouldn't flash a warning light at you.

If I were to guess (not sure it's educated..... but it might me a place to start) I am thinking you have a problem with the encoder motor or you have a short or loose wire in your installed wiring harness. Warning: as far as I know pulling out the encoder motor and operating it to check for function will blow up the device..... not sure of best ways to test this. I have a spare of every part I installed because the are cheap to have around for testing issues such as this. As far as wiring I would be checking all the connections first before diving into checking each wire for connectivity..... this could be goose chase.

There are many here that know much more than I do and hopefully someone will chime in with more information and experience.

Ryan
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

tanvanmanwithaplan

Post by tanvanmanwithaplan »

I think theres a speed sensor or wire wire or something that isn't acting right for some reason. It does it after you wheel for a while and then is fine again once you restart.

So--My random guess is the TCCM is not getting what it expects in some scenario and then erroring out. I think I would need to plug it into a better computer during when its having the issue to get to the bottom of it. but it's not enough of an issue for me to care to, tbh.