Astro Camper Layout

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
tribri1
I get chills without my van.

Astro Camper Layout

Post by tribri1 »

Hey guys, long time no post. I found this and immediately thought it would be of interest to you guys, http://www.escapecampervans.com/Malibu_Campervan.html

Hope all is well

TriBri1
2000 Ford Econoline GTRV Full Camper
2003 AWD Astro-VTop-Surf/River/Roadtrip Rig - In the great campground in the sky

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Astro Camper Layout

Post by T.Low »

Hey, thanks for stopping by.

Pretty sure those have been on this forum before. I've recently seen one driving through Bellingham.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

brizzell
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by brizzell »

Anyone got tech spec layouts I'm about to do my rv and need help.
Thinking kitchen along the back no seat on the mid left and a hid'a'bed pad.
95 RWD Chevy Astro - full time rv'er as of 2/1/15

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I might be renting one out in Vegas in March, if you aren't in a hurry I could take measurements.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

There are a couple of threads (including my build thread) where the various options are discussed.

The main issue you will run into will be overall length. If you put anything like a kitchen at the rear, this will push your bed (assuming any "normal" bed length, right up to the back of the front seats. That is OK for many people (including the Escape Malibu design above), but I found it to be a big negative if you don't have a little room to move around between the bed and the front seats. You basically end up climbing straight off the ground into the bed and have to say seated or lying down all the time.

I went with the classic VW "Wesfalia" layout, albeit in a compromised form, just for that reason. The bed is 70" long, and goes fully aft, leaving a small amount of area at the front:

I've since added a small box under the fridge to gain a little extra storage. The fridge still has to slide forward when you deploy the bed:

Instead of having a "kitchen" in the van, I use folding kitchen tables and/or a chuck box and do my cooking outside the van. I wouldn't cook inside the van most times anyhow due to food smells and we typically have good weather. In a pinch I can use my butane burner on top of the fridge with the side window popped, but it hasn't come up.

My "final" design will happen when I build the custom bed and cabinets. The bed will be a bit narrower (like a Westfalia 3/4 bed with a closet) so that it will slide past the fridge and you don't have to move it to camp.

I've also considered doing a "pop out" design where the bed moves even farther aft and you'd sleep with your feet on a platform out of the rear hatch:
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Nice, mike.

I've thought about a pop out rear drivers side window-tent for an east-west sleeping arrangement.
ImageImageImageImage

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

T.Low wrote:Nice, mike.

I've thought about a pop out rear drivers side window-tent for an east-west sleeping arrangement.
Thought about that one too. Would work for solo, but I think that window opening would be tight for two pairs of legs in sleeping bags. (Maybe two pairs of legs in one bag...)
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Herbie wrote:
T.Low wrote:Nice, mike.

Thought about that one too. Would work for solo, but I think that window opening would be tight for two pairs of legs in sleeping bags. (Maybe two pairs of legs in one bag...)

Indeed. Admittedly, I'm thinking parent and child up in poptop, and parent and child down below.
ImageImageImageImage

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Just booked a Malibu for a Vegas trip March 6-9, only $59 a day with 100 miles per day. Beats getting a room and a car in Vegas, especially on a Nascar weekend.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Howdy,

Installed 20 l iteration, 5 gal Scepter military style water container in metal bracket secured to floor.
Then got Whaler Mark 6 galley pump and 1/2” tubing to draw water. Sink is from Bed Bath and Beyond.

AP
Attachments
Scepter can REI or surplus store
Scepter can REI or surplus store
Whaler Mark 6 manual galley pump Amazon $55,  sink $20 Bed Bath Beyond
Whaler Mark 6 manual galley pump Amazon $55, sink $20 Bed Bath Beyond

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Howdy,

Connected some blue apex water line 1/2". That is inserted into tank via cap.

The Pex is approved for potable water.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Updated photo shows blue Pex tubing that is routed thru cap into tank. Also 1/2" barb fittings and a Pex specific fitting.
The sink is great since it has a drain and strainer. Sink is $20 at Bed Bath and Beyond.
AP
Attachments
Pex tubing in tank etc
Pex tubing in tank etc

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Merry Christmas.
The Whaler pump has plenty of power for good flow rate.
Next step is to install in line RV water filter . Walmart has Camcorder 2 pack filters with hose fittings. Then get assortment of fittings to connect it to the 3/8 " ID vinyl hose.

AP

LGB
Attachments
RV water filter
RV water filter