Spark Plug Wire Boot Question

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
macsveen
I am merely driving my van

Spark Plug Wire Boot Question

Post by macsveen »

Hey there,

So, I have been fighting misfires forever.

I believe that I have figured out that it is my plug wires.

With a little help from younger ears that can hear high pitch snapping noises, I found a plug wire that was arching against the exhaust manifold.

The question is; WHY! They are only 4.5 years old and about 30,000 miles on them.

The bigger questions are; what's up with the two straight boots and four 90 degree boots? Which plugs are suppose to get the straight boots and why?

Any wire suggestions? How about these,

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/su ... +set&pos=5

Thank you

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Spark Plug Wire Boot Question

Post by WoodButcher »

Those wires will do fine, maybe a little better than stock. Just watch the routing. That is the reasoning behind the mixed boots. If you pulled the original wires you would see which goes where. Sorry I can't help you on that as I haven't had a 6 cyl astro in a few years.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Bret Schmerker
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Bret Schmerker »

:heart: I've recent experience with the secondary wires on a V-6; my 1997 M11006 is equipped with the Vortec 4300. The shortest and longest wires, which go to the foremost left (#1) and aftmost right (#6) cylinders, respectively, have the straight boots as a hedge against burns of the wires themselves due to the design of the exhaust manifolds. With the high-voltage switch, the second-longest wires should go to the fore and middle right cylinders (#2 and #4); the second-shortest, to the middle and aft left cylinders (#3 and #5).
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.

Topic author
macsveen

Post by macsveen »

Thank you

Topic author
macsveen

Post by macsveen »

So, interesting development .....

I installed the Accel wires. They do look cool and fit much better than the Blue Streak wires that I replaced.

The interesting part is that when I pulled the coil wire off of the cap, the pin in the cap came out with the wire.

Running super smooth now!