AWD Front Shock Measurements (tab to tab)?

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
motorahead
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

AWD Front Shock Measurements (tab to tab)?

Post by motorahead »

Hi Everyone, I'm curious if someone can provide front shock measurements (tab to tab), extended and collapsed on the AWD vans? Specifically on the 2nd/3rd gens.

I've been experimenting with options for longer travel lengths, and the potential solution I'm looking at has a 12.8" collapsed length. However, it seems that's nearly 2" longer that factory spec.

The only info I have to go on is by looking at measurements for other factory spec shocks. For example, Bilstein 4600's (24-021364) have a collapsed length of 11.22" and extended length of 16.18" (5" of travel). I've also found that different manufactures vary +/- ~.5".

I apologize if you feel there is some missing context, but this information would be very helpful in my research. I might post this on the astro/safari forum as well.

Thanks!

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: AWD Front Shock Measurements (tab to tab)?

Post by MountainManJoe »

Welcome to the forum.
Are you trying to put shocks on a lifted Astro?

Have a look here:
MountainManJoe @ Shock Absorber choices?

1" isn't a big deal. Shocks aren't that picky and they have range of suspension height they can accommodate.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Howdy,

My 2"body lifted 2003 AWD Astro has front Bilsteins.
Since I have heavy front end with winch and brush guard, I also install front Timbren rubber springs to replace the bump stops.

The 15% firmer torsion bars that Sway Away in SoCal might fab are estimated at $1200 per pair.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Took off winch and tray and recovery D rings from front of my 2003 AWD Astro. This removed 103 lbs.

Front springs still too weak.

May try to ‘find custom shock guys you could do a mild coil over shock to replace Bilstein shock. Space is tight but since I will keeps torsion bar as main spring, the coil only needs to have 200 lbs of spring approx.

The AWD shock has eye on both ends which will perhaps limit choices of coil overs?
Maybe a Harley or Indian motorcycle rear spring/shock could be modified.
‘Other wild idea is to use sway bar end link as a way to add a coil spring helper spring. Then design a new longer sway bar end link as is common on many new cars?

AP
Attachments
AWD sway bar end link, use space for helper sp
AWD sway bar end link, use space for helper sp
AWD front shock and possible helper coil spring
AWD front shock and possible helper coil spring

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Also visible the the rubber Timbren helper spring which replaced the bump stop.

AP