Post by ScottS »

Latest towing excursion with the new van

1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Finally got tow something heavy with new van. The bot is a 89 22FT Catalina 17 (don't know manuf) With a Carb 4.3L GM Marine. My most conservative estimate on weight by feel would be around 3500# Didn't scale it but it had a half tank of gas and tuns out had a ridiculous amount of water in it since the cover leaks like a siv.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

My Bass Boat

Post by 9dawgs »

Here's a recent pic of the boat I tow to the river or lake on occassion

Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

Bikehauler
I am smitten with my van

Re: Trailers you have towed with your Astro or Safari

Post by Bikehauler »

Here is my Van being the bike hauler.
No longer the proud owner of a.
1990 Astro Cargo shorty. 350 V8, roller cam, flat top pistons, roller rockers, tbi stage 2 chip, built 700r4 tranny. 3:42 open diff (3:73 posi waiting install). Now rollin on new 18's with 235/50 tires.

Delta B.C.
Canada EH!

1996astro
I get chills without my van.

Post by 1996astro »

I tore a cabin apart with my 96 2wd one wall at time then the roof... Wish I had pictures. More commonly it pulled a 4 place snowmobile trailer hauling scrap. It also pulled a pop up camper all over I do have a pic of that!

All that the 97 has pulled was a small utility trailer so far.
Brandon
Bay City, MI

1997 Astro LT 4x4 48,000 Miles,
Custom Lift: 3" body spacers, torsion keys,
4" leaf spring relocation mounts (by ME),
added a leaf spring from a 94 S10 blazer.
All this gives me 5-6 inches of lift.
General Grabber AT2 31X10.50R15
Custom fit Brush guard
Western 7' 6" plow pictures coming soon...
1997 Buick Century 198,000 miles

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

On the way to Talladega!
Camping where I use to live.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Damnit, I forgot to take pics. Yesterday I towed an '92 Eagle Summit Wagon for 5+ miles using a tow rope.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

robertg
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by robertg »

ihatemybike wrote:Damnit, I forgot to take pics.
haha, i did the same thing.

went to southern maryland to pick up a camaro that i bought over the weekend. had the camera, but forgot to take pictures of the tow rig. leigh anne was taking pictures of the area hills and such. this is the first time i've towed anything really large or any long distance, and made it through okay. i took both bench seats out of the back, as i didn't want the extra weight with pulling the trailer (i knew i was cutting it very close)

my transmission gauge isn't wired in yet, so i borrowed a scan tool from work to monitor transmission temps.

took my 2000 astro, stock engine and transmission (57k miles on replacement transmission now), the b&m transmission cooler (19,000 gvw rating), 3.42 gears with mobil1 synthetic gear lube, and 215/75/15 tires. the car trailer weighs 2000# empty, load with the car on it is about 5400-5500#.

we took u.s. highways and state routes to avoid tolls. the biggest interstates we did were 81, 70, 270, and the 95/495 capital beltway around washington dc. that beltway is insane. no offense to anyone who lives in maryland or knows someone there, but some people down there drive like it's the daytona 500.

towing the empty trailer, we averaged 15.5 mpg down to waldorf, md. we towed mostly in 4th gear with tow/haul going down, only using 3rd up in the mountains climbing some of the hills. highest temps i saw at the internal temperature sensor were 145 degrees. the van didn't even know the trailer was hitched on. i was able to do freeway speeds (55-65mph) the entire way down.

coming back with the car loaded on, we averaged 12.4-12.6 mpg, towed back in 3rd gear with tow/haul, the highest temp i saw at the internal sensor on the return trip was 170 degrees. i was limited to a max of 55-60 mph on the way home.

next mod for the van is some sort of rear support (timbrens or cargo coilover shocks)

all said, i'm immensely impressed with how the van handled towing.
2000 Astro 4.3 A4- b&m transcooler/autometer trans temp gauge. 171k miles
1995 Astro 4.3 A4- generic flowmaster muffler. 239k miles

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Kids, Don't try this at home.

I didn't take it out on the road today, but I have several times before. It is WAY too much for the van, but manageable at low speeds, like 35mph in 2nd gear. A brake controller would help, the trailer has brakes on the rear two axles, but the van isn't equipped. I did pull it 60 mph with my V8 van, but once was enough. The pintle hitch is the best part, and that it has almost zero tounge weight empty when just lower than level, which is about the height of the hitch on this particular van. It gets real heavy fast when you start to lift it, and you can't push it down either. It's like 36' long in case anyone wondered.

I'm trying to sell this trailer since I sold my dually.

robertg

Post by robertg »

that is quite a trailer.
2000 Astro 4.3 A4- b&m transcooler/autometer trans temp gauge. 171k miles
1995 Astro 4.3 A4- generic flowmaster muffler. 239k miles

SteveTR6
I am merely driving my van

Post by SteveTR6 »

Here's my biggest load. 1990 Mazda B2200, filled with spare parts and camping equipment. Also had a 2001 Aprilia scooter stuffed in the cargo area of the Astro, along with 4 adults. All-up we ran somewhere close to 12,000 lbs. Astro cruised happily at 60-65, giving 15-16 mpg. Brakes were a little overwhelmed, but otherwise all was OK.
Oh, and I run a set of AirRide bags on the back end, which at 100 psi leveled the rear nicely. They're only at 50 psi in this pic..

Steve
2003 Astro LT AWD, dark carmine red, newest family member
2002 Astro LT 2WD, pewter -- gone but not forgotten. head gasket at 209k did it in
1994 Astro CL EXT, traded at 150k for the 2002
2000 Jaguar XJ8L, wife's daily driver
1981 Goldwing, naked, my daily driver 8+ months out of the year
1980 Vespa P200, wife's toy

Vanjoe
I get chills without my van.

Post by Vanjoe »

All right, time to show off my big tuff Astro! This thing tows my camper BETTER than my old full size chevy van with 350 4bll. However, the 350 would have towed better with the 2 barrel on it but was lots more fun as a daily driver with all that carb for passing.... Quickly!!!
The Astro pulls better, stronger and I can set the cruise, run the AC. But a little more mass would be helpful and I would never tow without working trailer brakes ! The camper is just under 5000lbs. dry. Sway control and load levelers are absolutely mandatory. Air shocks on Astro but load levelers do more for rear ride height and comfort/tongue weight.
This pic below was first time moving the camper. Still with original 1976 tires on it!

I have towed a couple Opel GT's home. First one was on a 14' trailer with no brakes but was all thruway driving from Mich. to NY. After this pic was taken and we got down the road, we stopped and adjusted the hitch height a couple times until the trailer was riding level to a bit higher in front.

Opel #2 and a nice car hauler trailer with brakes. Only thing is this trailer is heavy empty!!

And last, it may look bad with all the rust but this car is in fabulous condition for structure, engine, transmission and interior! This was a local find and haul with the worse part getting the brakes removed so it would roll!

Shoot, what was all the info you wanted??? Mileage.... towing the camper TO the campout...... 6 to 8 mpg. Return trip, no hurry... 10, 11 mpg. I have purchased but not installed my tranny cooler. Camper only goes out once a year.

ETA- by load levelers, I mean the load leveling hitch arms that you crank up on the chains attached to the trailer tongue. I have used air shocks on every van, or truck that needed extra carrying capacity. This van needs new air shocks due to the rubber grommets on the shock tops being worn out. Someone suggested I use the old shocks as sway control for the camper! Interesting idea and with air shocks they would be adjustable. Just may look a bit goofy.....
1998 Astro. Sterling Hi-top Conversion. 1st Second gen owned.
Former ....
90 Astro shorty conversion,$500 short term driver
91 ext Astro bad body,bad motor $325, became a 350/4bl cruiser with all under hood acces working.TOTALED..my fault
88 Astro shorty conversion 177k-270k,threw rod. $2500
85 Astro mint body ...totaled 9 days later...not my fault. Paid $1k, insurance gave me $2k
86 Astro shorty 147k-242k, $2500. sold running!

dansteck

Post by dansteck »

I pull a 3,800 pound camper with my 2002 AWD Astro that has timbren supports and transmission cooler and standard axles. We get about 10-11 mpg at 57 mph. Could use a little more horsepower when climbing hills but otherwise it pulls ok. Last camping trip was over 1,700 miles round trip. Was not able to use airconditioner because I needed all the power for pulling but I did get used to driving with windows open. I guess that is a little retro traveling!
Attachments
My Rig -2.jpg

Bret Schmerker

Post by Bret Schmerker »

dansteck wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:50 am I pull a 3,800 pound camper with my 2002 AWD Astro that has timbren supports and transmission cooler and standard axles. We get about 10-11 mpg at 57 mph. Could use a little more horsepower when climbing hills but otherwise it pulls ok. Last camping trip was over 1,700 miles round trip. Was not able to use airconditioner because I needed all the power for pulling but I did get used to driving with windows open. I guess that is a little retro traveling!
:D Thanks for a max-load ballpark. Convinced that my M11006 needs an ignition module, it missing at idle just as much on a replacement coil as on the original, so I've decided to assemble the original coil and a new ignition module on a salvage coil mount. Inflation has definitely dealt a setback to my acquisition schedule for trailering hardware; but I see no need to change the shortlist, which still includes a 9" Currie full-float with EATON Truetrac and (practical) 3.73:1 R&P. (I eventually plan on 4.11's as part of the 7-speed swap, as the MAGNA 7MTI550 has staged overdrives and a granny low.)
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.