General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
Barbixy
I am merely driving my van

Does the L96 V8 have AFM?

Post by Barbixy »

Hello everyone,
A shop recently told me I have "common problem" of worn cam lobes and/or lifter rollers due to the AFM design on my 2018 Express cargo 6.0 with 58k miles.
I did a VIN verifier search, which said my motor is the L96.
I've read in several places the L96 does not have AFM, but also read the L96 was only used up to 2017.
Does anyone have a definitive source for verifying 1) what motor I have and 2) does it have AFM or not

Thank you in advance

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Does the L96 V8 have AFM?

Post by MountainManJoe »

Welcome to the forum.
No. Thank goodness the vans never got cylinder deactivation. GM would probably loose all their fleet sales if they did.

Barbixy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:04 pm read the L96 was only used up to 2017.
2010–2020 Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana 2500/3500/4500
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_M ... engine#L96
https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l96/

You should probably change shops.

Topic author
Barbixy

Post by Barbixy »

Thank you... except Wikipedia is reader created, it isn't an official source and most of the references are from magazine articles.
Re: GM Authority, does that mean if the description doesn't mention AFM, that it doesn't have it?
Re: changing shops, I'm 400 miles from home working for two weeks in a small town, and the van started making a noise that sounds like a pulley bearing, This shop said they took the belt off and the sound is coming from inside the engine and they printed out a TSB on the problem. Except this TSB doesn't apply to my van. I think the belt tensioner or water pump maybe.I've been worried sick over their AFM diagnosis because it's major engine repair.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Barbixy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:58 am Thank you... except Wikipedia is reader created, it isn't an official source and most of the references are from magazine articles.
While not perfect, wikipedia is a great resource for automotive info. I use it all the time.
You would know if your engine had CD. It's very noticeable from sound and feel. It also shows a status indicator in the DIC. It would also be mentioned in your owner's manual.
Barbixy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:58 amRe: GM Authority, does that mean if the description doesn't mention AFM, that it doesn't have it?
It would be in the special features along with VVT
Barbixy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:58 amExcept this TSB doesn't apply to my van.
This shop doesn't know what they're doing. I would be really hesitant about going there.

If you need help troubleshooting the issue then go ahead and post a new topic about it, and maybe include a video of the noise.