no forward gears

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
CMW
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

no forward gears

Post by CMW »

stopped at my gate, put in park and could not make it go into fwd gears 97 Astro. shift interlock solinoid had fallen off, replaced this and still no fwd; do I need to reprogram the tranny?

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: no forward gears

Post by WoodButcher »

Hi CMW,
I moved this thread to the right section for you.

No, I don't believe you want to re-program anything. If you had a solenoid fall off of it's own accord I would be looking for other mechanical and or electrical issues.
Bad grounds or broken wires would be what I look for first. Find a factory service manual electrical diagram and check the wiring is proper.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

No programming.

How many miles on the van please? When is the last time the transmission was serviced? (new fluid + filter)

Are you saying that the shift lever won't rotate into the 'D' position, or you mean you selected Drive, but the van won't move?

Have you checked the level and condition of the fluid? (engine hot, in Park, on a level surface)
Are your brake lights coming on?
How did the interlock solenoid "fall off"?

Bret Schmerker
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Bret Schmerker »

Loose shifter bolts on the 4L60-E could be a thing in the no-forward-gears predicament — they escape a lot o' shade-tree mechanics. I's battling this problem in 2021, shifted some sump bolts to pin the cable bracket.
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.