General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
redguy34
I am merely driving my van

2005 AWD Savana with broken transfer case

Post by redguy34 »

Hello all,

We have A 2005 AWD Savana at our house with A busted transfer case as the subject says. It broke about 3 years ago sitting since then. Its in generally poor condition the engine runs rough, stalls if you don't give it gas. But I want to fix i. Because it was our family van till it broke, has lots of memory's. I want to document fixing it. Since its gonna be alot of work, maybe it will be cool. And if I tell someone I'm gonna do it I have to. If you all have any advice that would be appreciated.

Thank you for reading my post.

Said,
Redguy

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 2005 AWD Savana with broken transfer case

Post by MountainManJoe »

Welcome to the forum, Redguy.
Bringing an AWD Savana back to life sounds like a great project. Especially since they're discontinued.
Check the identification plate on the transfer case. It should be a Borg Warner BW4473.
Are you going to rebuild it yourself or find a replacement? Replacement should be straightforward, as it is a self-contained unit. Zero electronics.
I would love to see someone put in a low-range unit.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Awesome Red!
Ya know, I don't mind being used,
for motivational purposes anyway but I do expect payment,,,,
Pictures!
I look forward to seeing your project and progress.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'93 cargo, work in progress

Topic author
redguy34

Post by redguy34 »

MountainManJoe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:16 pm Welcome to the forum, Redguy.
Bringing an AWD Savana back to life sounds like a great project. Especially since they're discontinued.
Check the identification plate on the transfer case. It should be a Borg Warner BW4473.
Are you going to rebuild it yourself or find a replacement? Replacement should be straightforward, as it is a self-contained unit. Zero electronics.
I would love to see someone put in a low-range unit.
I've been thinking about rebuild or replacement. My Dad always said something about a chain being broken. So I thought just replace that but I'm sure it would need more than that. I don't know much about these transfer cases. I was thinking pull it out and look inside. Even if I don't rebuild it would be cool to know what failed.

Replacement would be easier. I would have to go used I've looked at prices for new ones. Maybe like always I'm bad at searching but there like 2k!

And what is A low-range unit? I would look into that. If its something I would want.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

If you're going to rebuild, then you might as well get an overhault kit for it. Replace all wear items like the viscous coupler, chain, etc. You'll probably need some special tools like snap ring pliers. Definitely consult a service manual first: https://charm.li/GMC%20Truck/2005/Savan ... Repair%29/

Low range like other 4-wheelers have. You know ... 4WD-Low, 4WD-High, etc.
It would involve finding a two-speed unit, and making the modifications to make it fit (adapters, mounts, shift linkage, driveshafts, and maybe electronics). It's an "advanced" project.

Topic author
redguy34

Post by redguy34 »

Hello all again,

I've already hit a small roadblock. I broken the front driveshaft free from the differential. But I can't get it out of the transfer case.

I'm not really sure how to get this off. Maybe its obvious and I'm dumb. Oh well.

I'll get more pictures of what I've been doing soon, my internet is so slow.

Said,
Red

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

it should be in the service manual I linked:
https://charm.li/GMC%20Truck/2005/Savan ... placement/

Once you cut those bands then it should just come out with a good tug. But don't forget to mark the positions of everything first! balance and phase and angles are extremely important when it comes to drivelines.