Transmission Cooler

Topic author
marco10
I am smitten with my van

Transmission Cooler

Post by marco10 »

I have a 2003 Chevy Astro equiped with the HD trailering package. Does this include a transmission cooler? I can visually see through the front grill something that looks like another radiator in front of the standard radiator. How do I know if this is a transmission cooler or engine oil cooler? Thanks.

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

That is most likely the Engine oil Cooler. follow your lines coming from the transmission and see where they lead... the radiator or an external cooler?
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

That will be the A/C condenser. There are no auxiliary coolers installed from the factory. There is an engine oil cooler as well as a transmission cooler mounted in the side tanks of the radiator.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Built-in tranny cooler is on the passenger side, correct?
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Transmission Cooler

Post by Astrophysics »

Yes, I have a 2003 AWD Astro and the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) tranny cooler lines on passenger side and oil cooler lines on drivers side.
I am going to add a Tru Cool LPD (low pressure drop) #4454 auxillary trans cooler. this unit is about 7" x 11" . To do a neat install you should also have your local car parts house order a Hayden #397 brass fitting for $10. Also order 2 new E clips. about $3 each or so. This fitting will allow you to release the oem E clip on the Astro radiator and move the origianl metal line slightly offset and out of the way. and now insert the brass #397 fitting. (NOte: Save and re use the o ring that is captive with the E clip. )then use the rubber hose that comes with the aux cooler and attach one end of rubber hose to the barb end of the new #397 fitting and the other end of the hose to the original metal line. Then there is no need to cut the oem metal tubing.
Astrophysics

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Transmission Cooler

Post by potskie »

Astrophysics wrote:Yes, I have a 2003 AWD Astro and the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) tranny cooler lines on passenger side and oil cooler lines on drivers side.
I am going to add a Tru Cool LPD (low pressure drop) #4454 auxillary trans cooler. this unit is about 7" x 11" . To do a neat install you should also have your local car parts house order a Hayden #397 brass fitting for $10. Also order 2 new E clips. about $3 each or so. This fitting will allow you to release the oem E clip on the Astro radiator and move the origianl metal line slightly offset and out of the way. and now insert the brass #397 fitting. (NOte: Save and re use the o ring that is captive with the E clip. )then use the rubber hose that comes with the aux cooler and attach one end of rubber hose to the barb end of the new #397 fitting and the other end of the hose to the original metal line. Then there is no need to cut the oem metal tubing.
Astrophysics
Mine came with those fittings as a kit. came witht he mounting hardware as well...... Was only $10 bucks more for the kit than just the cooler. Now I even have a bunch of stuff left over that fits the oil side so I can do an oil cooler if I so please :)
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!