Many V8 swap questions, Ignition, Fit, Radiatior/Cooling....

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Many V8 swap questions, Ignition, Fit, Radiatior/Cooling....

Post by Xephius »

Hi all,

So, I am going to make the V8 exchange. First I will outline my plan, then ask some questions....

PLAN:
V8 Roller Block
383 Stroker Kit 10.35:1 compression
Vortec Iron Heads - Light port work, maybe 30deg back cut valves
1.6 roller rockers
Mid-Aggression cam focused on low-end torque and MPG
Intake
a) Performer RPM with TBI powered by Megasquirt
b) LS/LT1 (or similar) intake powered by Megasquirt
c) 2007 H2 plastic/resin type intake powered by Megasquirt

Questions:
Radiator- Is the stock radiator sufficient to cool the larger V8? I live in Houston and plan to haul a trailer. What fans have been used with good success?
Distributor- Will one of the high rise HEI after market distributors fit under the dog house? What has been successfully used?
Stock Speedo- Does it require the computer? (I will be removing it soon anyway)
Where is the best place to get V8 mounts?
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

safarirod
I am smitten with my van

Re: Many V8 swap questions, Ignition, Fit, Radiatior/Cooling....

Post by safarirod »

You can get the mounts from a company called Jags that Run, or Northern auto parts, you can find them both on the webb. I am swapping a 350 with a 400 turbo trans into my 93 Safari, all old school, I am using the stock radiator, with a 74 to 76 fan and fan clutch, should cool properly., others on the site have done V/8 swaps and used there stock radiators with no problems. My only problem was the speedo, like you I was going to change the guages in the future to manual, but in the meantime I needed a speedo, to go from manual to electronic, you will need a pulse generator and a buffer, because our astro/safaris put out 8000 pulses the buffer brings it from 4000 to 8000. Any info you need on this, go to Dakota Digital webb site, and call there 800 number and they can fix you up with any aplication your looking for in the speedometer department.
1993 Safari
Lowered
Shaved
Building my 350 and 400 turbo
all old school

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Radiator- Is the stock radiator sufficient to cool the larger V8? I live in Houston and plan to haul a trailer. What fans have been used with good success?
I'm not to sure on the stock rad. to cool a stroker. I had trouble with my stock rad. and went to a 3 row Autozone for around 160.00. I'm ol school and have this thing about running at 210* I just can't deal with it. I personally think you'll have heat issues with a stroker and stock rad. and I run dual Flex-A-Lite fans.

Peter will probably chime in here. Think he's running a Vette rad. with some tank mods on his 502 BB.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Just FYI the LT1 will work with some mods on an SBC, hoiwever it will not work with vortecs due to their high ports, nor with an LS1 intake or a motor based off of it will not work on a gen I motor. The only other motor I think you'd be talking about would be the 8100 which would likewise be incompatible.

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

So far I haven't had any heat problems with my AWD 350 swap, though I suspect I'm probably around 300hp. I've got the HD stock rad with twin spal 11" fans. I'll see how it is next summer with the A/C on, but in 50 degree weather it doesn't get over 190 deg with the one fan running at low speed. I think Bill (locdock) also is using the stock HD rad. The amount of cooling required is proportional to the amount of HP you make. Be advised most people over estimate how much HP they make. Only a dnyo and track times will give accurate results of HP & Torque. I would think what Peter's got is probably going to give the best results.

Once I get my tuning finished I plan on taking a trip to the track for results. Only gauge I have right now is my buddy's 4x4 Hemi ram (I think is around 340 Hp?) which we pretty much run neck and neck. I do believe the truck weighs more than my Astro. Granted that was before my tuning thus far.

Good luck on the swap
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

On my '99 LS1 swap into a '98 2wd Astro I'm using dual electric fans from a '97 Camero. ( practicaly a bolt on, the easiest thing about the whole swap) On my trip to Cali via Tx, pulling a trailer that seemed as big as a house I had some over heating issues along I-10 in 85+ degree weather. At first I thought it was a limitation in the system but found out that the relay for the 2ed fan had failed and the system itself was enough to cool darn near anything.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....