Ok change of plans, new van

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Ok change of plans, new van

Post by PharmAstrocist »

I went to a couple of upholstery/interior places today and doing my van is going to cost me between 3-5k just to get started on what I want. So I think I'm going to take this opportunity to FINALLY scrap the wife's '91 Taurus (aka bi-monthly PITA) and just get another van.

Spoke to this guy tonight and going to take him some money in the a.m.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/car/560579934.html

Says some misc scratches barely noticeable. Unfortunately it's barn doors (was really wanting a dutch version, I have barn already), and it's the front bench seat instead of captains which would have been a nice bonus. Power everything, everything supposedly works. He buys and flips, so not a single owner, but didn't say he did anything to it except change some "funky" wheels and oil change.

So about the price, would anyone ACTUALLY low-ball this guy or do you think it's worth the full price (3200)? I intend to pay 3G even, without a fight.

Comments welcome!
Krispy: '90 Astro Cargo Shorty ----------------------Newest Addition: Kremey: Stock '99 Astro LS 8 Passenger, New CD/MP3 w/ 10" Woofer
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

ImageImageImageImage Krispy&Kremey

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Re: Ok change of plans, new van

Post by WVKayaker »

For what it's worth I paid $2450.00 for my '99 AWD with 127k Miles on the clock one year ago.
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

astrogurl
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by astrogurl »

Hey went to http://www.kbb.com
filled in the details you told me for the charlotte area and this is what I found on a private party price :)

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pricing ... onditions=
HTH :)
03 "Pewter" Astro AWD stock
early 90s Astro currently under the knife

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

Cool, thanks, so it's at least worth the asking price.

WV you got an outstanding deal! I wouldn't expect him to go that low..
Krispy: '90 Astro Cargo Shorty ----------------------Newest Addition: Kremey: Stock '99 Astro LS 8 Passenger, New CD/MP3 w/ 10" Woofer
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

tim k
I am smitten with my van

Post by tim k »

just me but seems like a lot of miles for the price I would look a little longer for something that is set up the way you like
86 safari
96 astro cargo van
97 silverado (new toy)
01 awd safari

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

This guy got back to me finally by email.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/car/547008668.html
It's green and it's clean! Runs great, recently rebuilt transmission done by a Chevy transmission professional, new shocks, good tires, and clean interior. Meticulously serviced, service record can be produced. Single-owner, just inspected, and we have no need for a van any more. Bench-style seats for seating of 7 passengers, and they can be removed. Serious inquiries only, please. 203K miles and many more left.

He's only asking $2399, so now I'm a bit torn except to say that my final offer on the white one will be $2800 given this other choice, if he doesn't take it then I'm going to go look at the green one. They're all about an hour apart from my home.

Any opinions just straight out between the two? The green has my dutch doors but prob still the bench seats. Pricer is nicer, one year older with comparable miles. Says it has "nothing more than a door ding"... I hate door dings. White one has "some scratches bare noticeable", also has nicer wheels from the pics.

What do you guys do? Do you make a point of looking at both first or what? I'd like to nail one of them down tomorrow before I lose my nerve!

Rob
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Honestly, I'd wait for something with lower mileage. Either that, or go for the green one seeing as the previous owner's already sunk lotsa dough into it. But it's still a lot of mileage bro :yawinkle:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I like the green one better...but I'm biased :D

Like Peter says, the green one has already had a bunch of money thrown into it with the tranny job alone. At 199k, the white one is possibly on it's last tranny legs unless that one has been rebuilt as well.

I guess you need to look at them both and go from there, one may have a much cleaner interior and under carriage.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

hmm... waiting has never been one of my strong points... my van has that kind of miles and 10 years older, same tranny. Are the newer ones especially vulnerable? Mine just can't be stopped, and I guess I'm attributing the mystical qualities of Krispy to all Strofaris!
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

astrogurl
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by astrogurl »

I like the fact that the service records can be produced for the green one. Door dings can sometimes be popped out, I've seen it done with the little suction cup thingy. And if you really want to repaint it you could always strip it and gingerly fill in the ding with some putty. Plus I'm a really big fan of the dutch doors as well.

Look them over really well in person. If they are reputable, they won't mind you driving it a bit to see if there are any problems with hard shifting or looking at the oil and transmission fluid for any cloudiness or burnt smells. Waiting is probably not going to hurt you though :)
03 "Pewter" Astro AWD stock
early 90s Astro currently under the knife

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

its one thing if you put the 203,000 on it because you would know its strong and weak points by now, but to purchase one with that kinda mileage would be a little bit scary if you ask me. i purchased my 99 6 years ago with 50,000 miles it now has 166,000 miles and still runs good, but it has the original tranny so i know just to baby her a little bit more than used to. i just happened to see about 10 4l60E's on ebay at buy it now prices of about $550 or so and shipping at $300, i was awful tempted to buy one just for the hell of it, but didnt, now mine will probably go out soon and i will get stuck paying thousands of dollars or something.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

I am terrible at waiting, but I waited and I think I got a steal. 1998 Astro AWD, blue on blue, dutch doors, power locks, rear heat/ac. No power windows or cruise control, but it only had 32,000k miles on it! I only paid $4200 cash. No dents or anything... So I would say wait, there are deals out there to be had, and mine was from a flipper too. :whistle:
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

Thanks for all the trying guys, but she drove the white one and wasn't going to get out of it.

He accepted my 2800 no prob. The thing drives great, I gave it a bunch of hard stomps and stops, sounds great, undercarriage looks great, no/little rust. Interior immaculate except for some "fuzzy" edges on the upholstery, but intact, no rips or stains. EVERYTHING works electrically, even the cigarette lighter, which quite frankly shocked the heck outta me... always the first thing to go!
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

will the new van be named "Cream"?
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

justice wrote:will the new van be named "Cream"?

I think it would have to be "Kreme"!! :rolleyes: Good one Justice! #-o Good luck with the new van Rob. =D>
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13