confused about the user groups

Questions, comments, criticisms, issues, suggestions, praise etc related to this Forum
(Please do not post van questions)

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

confused about the user groups

Post by skippy »

Hey Keith , I'm just a little confused about the user group section . Is there a way we can post topics & see whats written or do we just use the PM to contact each other ? i've never used a users group setting like this before , so if its a stupid question I'm sorry . boy this new board is really testing my knowledge , & showing you guys just how computer stupid I am . #-o
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: confused about the user groups

Post by astrozam »

skippy wrote:Hey Keith , I'm just a little confused about the user group section . Is there a way we can post topics & see whats written or do we just use the PM to contact each other ? i've never used a users group setting like this before , so if its a stupid question I'm sorry . boy this new board is really testing my knowledge , & showing you guys just how computer stupid I am . #-o
Originally I had thought that the usergroups were a type of sub forum, kinda seperate from the main site, but they actually have a slightly different purpose, I'm still learning this myself, but anyways I have asked Justice about them and when I find out how that feature is properly used I will let everyone know.

Remember, the only way you learn is by asking, so ask away, we'll do our best to answer.

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

From the FAQ
Usergroups are a way in which board administrators can group users. Each user can belong to several groups (this differs from most other boards) and each group can be assigned individual access rights. This makes it easy for administrators to set up several users as moderators of a forum, or to give them access to a private forum, etc.
Basically, what this means is that if I wanted to make a special forum to only discuss Smurfs, and restrict it so that not just anyone could access the Smurfs forum. I could set the forum properties so that you would need to be a member of the Smurfs Usergroup to be able to see and access the forum.

The user groups can also be used to give a group of people moderator rights to a specific forum without selecting them all individually.

hope that helps.