Pictures and advice please!

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Pictures and advice please!

Post by Xephius »

Hey all,

So I pulled van into the shop today and started to remove everything to drop the motor out the bottom. Everything has gone smoothly so far, but I have run into a couple snags. The big one is the ABS module. WTF do I do with this? My plan is to unbolt it from the fire wall, disconnect it from the proportioning valve and drop it our the bottom with the motor/trans. Has anyone done a V8 swap with ABS, and if so, have you gotten it to work again? If not, does anyone have a clue how to throw it away and setup for non-abs?

Looking into installation, the problem I am going to face is the A/C unit on the LT1. I could really use some as many pictures as possible on LT1 installs. Also, anyone who has solved the intake/boot/MAF/Filter problem please advise. If anyone has pictures please send them to me, I could really use the help. jc ( a t ) xephius.com

Tomorrow I have to drop the motor out, Thursday build the motor, Friday install. Saturday should be my drive home day provided all parts come in and install goes smoothly. Any and all help appreciated!
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Pictures and advice please!

Post by phr1$k37 »

SOS for the man!!! :D Hopefully the gurus will pop in soon.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

While I haven't put it back together to see if it will work, I disconnected the lines from the ABS thing and left it in place. (I followed the instructions in the GM service manual for dropping my subframe.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I don't know how it works on a '95, but on a '96 and newer, you don't do anything with the ABS except disconect the rear brake line from it. You unplug the electrical wires at the ABS and you take the master cylinder loose and let it hang when you drop the sub frame and nothing on the front brakes are disturbed. Again, I'm not sure on a '95, sorry.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

I know the astro subframe is very similar to the 2nd gen camaros. The guys from my camaro website who have installed the LT1/LS1 motors notched the frame and boxed it back in for the AC compressors since they are mounted down low. I would imagine you could have custom bracket and hoses made to relocate it up on top.
Where is Neal at? he would be the one to ask.

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I already sent him a pic of the frame crossmember notch for a LS1 and a pic of the body raised up with the stuff left hanging on the complete sub frame assy.
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

There just are'nt that many 95 & up swaps period,regardless of which engine was used.Hopefully you will be able to change all that and document your swap, which in turn will help some other member down the road.

Topic author
Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Post by Xephius »

HPbyStan wrote:I already sent him a pic of the frame crossmember notch for a LS1 and a pic of the body raised up with the stuff left hanging on the complete sub frame assy.
HPbyStan,

I have not seen any pictures, when did you send them? Can you resend them, I will keep an eye on my junk folder, but I have not seen anything. Thanks for sending them!
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Do a Google search of other Chevy forums with LT1 swaps, as someone mentioned for ideas.......
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

mikedamech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mikedamech »

I'm mid swing with my LT1 swap in my 98. I mounted the engine, tranny to the frame and positioned the power plant so the back of the tranny is the same as the 4.3 was and found out the tranny mount wont line up in ether mounting holes. The A/C compressor is about 1/2 in from the frame, notch? I think I'll use the ABS controller from the 95 Caprice sence the harness will plug in.
I was wondering how high the tail end of the tranny shold be as the caprice had three shims. The power steering pump is on the other side of the engine so I will use the pressure hose from the caprice and find a return line.
The mounts from JTR work great. the exhaust will be a challenge but I'm looking forward to it. The pipes on the caprice are 2 1/4 and I am going to run both on the right side hoping to find a muffler with dual 2 1/4 inlet and a three inch outlet so I can use the stock tail pipe.
If anyone can answer some of these questions much Mahalo. Mike
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

mikedamech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mikedamech »

Xephius wrote:Hey all,

So I pulled van into the shop today and started to remove everything to drop the motor out the bottom. Everything has gone smoothly so far, but I have run into a couple snags. The big one is the ABS module. WTF do I do with this? My plan is to unbolt it from the fire wall, disconnect it from the proportioning valve and drop it our the bottom with the motor/trans. Has anyone done a V8 swap with ABS, and if so, have you gotten it to work again? If not, does anyone have a clue how to throw it away and setup for non-abs?

Looking into installation, the problem I am going to face is the A/C unit on the LT1. I could really use some as many pictures as possible on LT1 installs. Also, anyone who has solved the intake/boot/MAF/Filter problem please advise. If anyone has pictures please send them to me, I could really use the help. jc ( a t ) xephius.com

Tomorrow I have to drop the motor out, Thursday build the motor, Friday install. Saturday should be my drive home day provided all parts come in and install goes smoothly. Any and all help appreciated!
On the top of the engine there is a large flat air resonator that clamps to the air duct, I cut that, nipple and round plastic part above. There is a plastic box with a clamp and sleeve, I cut the sleeve so I could use it to go over the Mass and clamped to the curved duct. I have a cone K&N air filter that clamped to the Mass.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I strongly suggest you try to leave all the other stuff intact. I dunno about your ABS, mine is located under the truck. But if you're careful and identify ALL wiring and stuff, you can pull this swap off and still have ABS, air bags, cruise, speedo etc. As I did.
Then again, I'm incredible... :muhaha:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Then again, I'm incredible...

:vom: :toimonster:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Mike,
will the outside tail stock from the Astro transmission bolt to the transmission you are now using. A lot of those, the only difference is the rear mount itself. I lost track of which tranny you are now using
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

peter wrote: Then again, I'm incredible... :muhaha:

[-( [-( [-( [-X [-X [-X
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13