ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Re: Pictures and advice please!

Post by Xephius »

peter wrote:Then again, I'm incredible... :muhaha:
Peter,

I myself being rather incredible agree with your advice. I intend to get it all running, its just a matter of working it all out. I was really hoping to find some detailed information on things like ABS and such, but it looks like I will just have to do the electrical back tracing. I have swapped several motors, so its not my first time, but it will be the first with ABS, Cruise and Air bags.
I am considering ditching the air bags, not because I don't think I can get them to work, but because the stock wheel is so damn ugly.
Very nice job on the 502, before I started the LT1 I had my eye on the new 572. I figured going with a nice ODB1 Vette motor would allow me a cheap, reliable, Hi-HP, but drivable motor. I should have a solid 400hp at the flywheel, so its a good thing you have that 502 in your AWD, your gonna need it to keep up! ;)

In general update news, I have the motor back from the machinist and am in process of re-assembly. The old motor is out (through the bottom) and most of my new parts are in. I did come up with a rather clever (if I do say so myself) way of getting some extra cooling. I picked up 2 of these units-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 68111&rd=1
My plan is to mount them under the van in front of the gas tank on about 45deg angles. One for oil, one for transmission. This will greatly reduce the cooling demand on the radiator and should really help keep the oil and transmission cool. While they are not ideally located on the front of the van, the location under the van should allow them to pull in plenty of cool air with the little fans. I will setup a relay that slaves off the main radiator fan relay to kick them on at the same time. This way they only run when the motor warms up. All said and done, I think I will have ample cooling, even when towing.

The LT1 ODB1 computer is proving to be very tuneable. Lots of cool things can be done here, but more on that later. Here is the run down of the mods for those interested.

360 CID (+.060 over bore)
Speedpro Hyper Pistons
52mm Throttle Body
Elderbrock Mid-length 3" headers, Y-Pipe, High flow cat, high flow muffler all 3"
Accel Opti-spark
Irridium plugs
9mm Plug wires
MSD Coil
Delete- AIR pump, EGR
GMPP LT4 Hot Cam
GMPP LT4 Hot Cam Springs
1.6 SS Full Roller Rocker Arms
External Oil and Transmission cooler slaved to Y-Body dual cooling fans, stock radiator.
160 degree thermostat
LT4 Knock sensor
4L60E w/Corvette Servo's, 2600 Stall

I am working on the full write up for my website. I will start a new thread when I am done and mirror it here. Pics later.
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

mikedamech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mikedamech »

HPbyStan wrote:Mike,
will the outside tail stock from the Astro transmission bolt to the transmission you are now using. A lot of those, the only difference is the rear mount itself. I lost track of which tranny you are now using
Oh hey HP, I just made the rear mount for the Astro. The 4L60E that came with the 95 Caprice has two mounting spots, one where the Astro's is and another one closer to the end. I bought a new mount and installed it on the end spot. used a piece of 1/4 " stock 3X4", drilled a hole for the mount stud. put the bolt on and I will weld it tomorrow. The end of the tail shaft is about 1/2 " when I put a straight edge on the rear of the frame just like the other one. I also notched the frame by the A/C compressor and P/S pressure line, will weld it up tomorrow also.
As far as the ABS the Caprice had a Bosch and the Astro is a Kelsey-Hayes, the wires for both of them have the same pin #s and color, Thanks Pete.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Lookin' good, Xephius. As far as needing my 502 to keep you away, I'm not sure. If I understand correctly, you're running a 2wd panel van with 400 hp at the flywheel.
I'm running a 4wd passenger van with a realistic 450 hp at the flywheel (due to my using exhaust manifolds rather than headers.
Between these differences and the fact that I run on heavy steel 10" wheels and 31" All-Terrain tires, I'd say you'll be handing me my a$$ on a platter. :prayer:

One thing though, 2600 stall AND you wanna tow with it? High stall speeds get old real quick unless you intend to take this beast out on weekends only :yawinkle:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

This is a pic of the frame cut I had to do on my Monte Carlo. I know it is different, but hey, it's a start. I will be cutting out some more to help fit the lines, and filling it in for strenth when the engine comes back out for rebuilding.

You can run accessories from a vette to keep form having this problem, according to a post I read on a G-body forumn somewhere. I don't know if it is fact or not, but it sounds expensive.

Topic author
Xephius

Post by Xephius »

peter wrote:One thing though, 2600 stall AND you wanna tow with it? High stall speeds get old real quick unless you intend to take this beast out on weekends only :yawinkle:
Its a weekend warrior, so I am not too worried about it. If it proves to be a problem I will swap in the original.

As for the Vette accessories, I will check on it today. I think we have a set of mounts sitting at the shop.
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

John, you might check http://www.geocities.com/astrovanoffroa ... tions.html to see how Astrovanoffroader added a transmission cooler in this location.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Roy, the Gbody and Fbody frames are very similar in design to the astros so that pic would actually be pertinent. I have seem mounts out there somwhere, but don't remember any specifics.
Safarirob, cool link to Jesse's van. That was one fo the vans that caused me to go ahead and purchase mine with plans to lift a RWD, too bad he sold it for some expensive sports/luxury car, off all the nerve :muhaha:

Topic author
Xephius

Post by Xephius »

Well today was a crazy day. I went from pissed off and determined, to depressed, to ready to quit, to thrilled in the course of 10 hours.

I am rarely pissed off, I just don't like to be mad. But this morning I was trying to install a new Lexmark printer and man they suck. The driver crashes everytime I try and make a change to the sofware configuration. It goes back and I am getting an different make. Anyhow...

I got up to the shop and spend about 3 hours seeming doing nothing. I bolted up the accessories, got some vacuum plugs, adjusted the roller rockers and modified the valve covers. But it _seemed_ like I wasn't getting anything done at the time. So I started to get a bit down on the project. I am in the home stretch where all the little details are starting to pop up. It was looking daunting, down right intimidating.

So I chose to chase down the big things that needed to get done. I pulled the motor over to the frame and dropped it in place and attached the transmission. I looked to mark where the A/C was going to rub, and it looked like the compressor was going to rub on the A-arm as well as the cross member. Once I stuck a pry bar under the motor and rotated over on he engine mounts, it worked like a charm. Its easy to see where the notch is needed. I will dig into that tomorrow.

I left feeling really good about doing he project. I think I only have a couple more days till its running.

More questions for those who can help.

1) How did you plumb the power steering pump?!? The stock pump has a in, out and filler. The LT1 pump only has in and out.
2) How did you manage the throttle assembly?
3) Should I keep the electronic Carbon Canister purge, or just plumb it into the intake before the MAF sensor?
4) Anything to watch out for in the electric adaptation?

Thanks in advance!
-=John=-
Getting: