Gotta change the differential fluid...

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Gotta change the differential fluid...

Post by Astrophysics »

Yep, now with the warmer weather I can remove the diff covers on my 2003 AWD and clean out the fluid the correct way.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. My AWD has 3.42 gears. I kinda wish it had 3.73 but I guess for now I will leave the ratios as is.

Astrophysics

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Heres a tip (Dean told me about) when you've removed the diff cover and want to get all the old gasket material off,use a grinder with a wire brush,it does a great job in very little time.

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

astrozam wrote:Heres a tip (Dean told me about) when you've removed the diff cover and want to get all the old gasket material off,use a grinder with a wire brush,it does a great job in very little time.
That sure would make short work of it! I, however, didn't have to worry too much about that as the person that changed the fluid last time, must have thought that a gasket was not necessary! It had just silicone to seal it. I did use some of this: Image
And it worked well to get all the stubborn hardened silicon off. I just used some shop towels and it wiped clean off. It's supposed to work on the paper gaskets as well, but I couldn't test it out though. Gotta be careful with it though, it's some caustic stuff! In my opinion worse than the aerosol paint removers.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

From my experience doing my diffs - make sure the 3/8" extension is truly a square drive - not one of those with rounded edges for cosmetic, slight motion on the socket. that and a little 36" breaker bar action - not to mention some squirrel piss (WD40) - and she came out like nothing
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I never have used a gasket unless it was a rubber one. Lynne's 2005 TrailBlazer uses one on the rear diff and we installed a Lubelocker rubber gasket on the front Dana 30 diff in her Jeep YJ. I always use RTV silicone.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy