SQ system install

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: SQ system install

Post by BLAZER »

Nice clean install. I've noticed other car shows, pictures that amps are hidden, don't they need open air to keep cool????

Don't worry about our PM's, with gas prices, utility bills going up, I'm not worrying about installing mine right now, thanks for the help anyway, maybe at a later time!

Astro4x4
I am smitten with my van

Post by Astro4x4 »

WOW ! I got a chubby ! I started something similar for my 10" sub, but man that looks awesome, just what I was wanting to do. Can't wait to see the finished panels.
1998 GMC Safari
Still stock
220,000 kms

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

And I thought I was looney having 3 amps in my van...
Nice work!
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

Verrrry nice. :yawinkle:
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Very Nice Install Chris :)
Is there going to be a source of colling for those amps? :-k
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Having large concert systems in my backround,I know full well how much for thought goes into clean wiring like you did.That looks very well done Chris.Do the research in the library for Carlson couplers boxes.It is a folded vented box that is 180 degrees and will reproduce a 20 cycle note to 20,000k.It is very small in size and was way ahead of it's time.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Thanks guys for the comps.
And I thought I was looney having 3 amps in my van...
Nice work!
Actally two of them are mono amps and the sub amp is bridged. I've got the fronts bi-amped so there's one running the highs and two mono's running the mids and midbass. One two channel running the rear fills and one for the sub. It's really more power than I could ever want, but I've collected this stuff for years. I perfer to have more power than I need and keep the gains down. I used to re-cone speakers and I can tell you this, I rarely repaired drivers that were blown from two much power. When you clip an amp it causes arc burns across the coil. To over drive a speaker you push it beyond it's physical limits. Ive had these same infinty ribbon emit tweeters for years and they have never been damaged. Ribbon tweeters are real sensitive to amplifier clipping.
Having large concert systems in my backround,I know full well how much for thought goes into clean wiring like you did
Yep I've seen high end equipment that sounded like crap due to lousy installation pracitices. It's taken me weeks to get this figured out. The front speakers in the kick panels have been a real treat. Made up special bracket so I can adjust them for optimum imaging. I'll snap some pics of those soon. I have them mounted, but need to modify the panels themselves.

As far as the amp cooling goes, the Nakamichi amps are mounted such that natrual convection will work. The sub amp is not, but I'm barely using it's capability. Eveything is ran at 4 ohm, no low impeadances. I'm more worried about the EQ-s since I modified the front channel with higher quality op amps that draw more current than what was in there. I've noticed the power supply transformer gets hot. I may have to improvise a fan on it. As far as the whole system goes I'll see how it goes. If it seems like I'm getting a heat build up I did leave provisions to add a fan. The other nice thing about where I have them Is I could easily duct air from the rear A/C to that area.

I was up to 2:00 in the morning last night. Getting anxious to fire it up. I haven't had a good system in a vehicle in years. :rock:
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Very nice job,looks well thought out :supz:

Topic author
91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Making progress. Wiring is done! Here's the factory side panels in place. I'll have to make some clips to hold it and I think I'm going to hinge the front piece. Covers it up nicely.

Just have the rear speakers to finish up waiting on crossover parts. I still have to modify the kick panels too. Still debating on how I want to accomplish that. The drivers are mounted. I'll be bringing home a scope from work to verify polarity of the drivers, then setting up the 1/3 octive analizer to adjust the EQ curve. Gains are all set.
---------
----------
Chris
91AWD 350

Topic author
91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Well just about finished up. Installed the rear speakers and passive crossovers. I used a set of Infinity reference components with 6" mid-bass. I wound up throwing in a set of Kappa 4 inch mids too that I had laying around next to the tweeters since the factory had openings for them. Of course I had to make a custom crossover for them. Also the front mids and tweeters are set up. I still need to modify the kick panels to cover them. I've set the EQ curves and checked speaker phasing. I've decided to post a how to on phasing and EQ curving. Man I'm jamming now! About time. :guitar:

Pic of the rear mids & highs
Here's the custom passive crossovers I made.
The front mids & highs in the kick panel area.
---------
----------
Chris
91AWD 350

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

Ok, I have to ask, since you built your own crossovers, where is a good place to learn more info about crossovers? I'm interested in putting 8" midbass speakers in the van, but it will probably have to be a 3 way setup. I wanted to build the crossovers for it myself, but I'm not too smart when it comes to crossovers. I understand what they do, but i don't understand how or why. Any books you would recommend?

Great job by the way...

Steve O
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Lookin Good :)
This is going to be a very nice SQ system :D
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

I should have you come tune mine when your in the area. Out of the box my girlfriends Ford Edge sounds way better than the gear in my astro. Maybe I'm not doing it right....
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor