bolt sizes

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

bolt sizes

Post by Cobra »

i'm going to be replacing my fuel pump and shocks soon and get the feeling i'm either going to strip or break at least one bolt so in prep for that i was curious what the bolt size and thread they were so i can put up some stainless steel ones in advance to replace them with. even if i don't damage any i still want to replace them with SS ones to make life easier in the future.

HMB
Cobra
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: bolt sizes

Post by Rebel »

Huuummmm,,don't know what size the lower shock bolts are but you should be ok on them. Just spray some PB Blaster on there and rock and roll. As far as the fuel pump goes,,not any bolts to replace, just a ring seal on top of your tank which you will need to use a none metalic something to remove like a brass punch. You do have the bolts that hold the tank straps on and be sure to spray them with PB. I had to chase one of mine to clear threads after trying to replace bolt the last time I pulled the tank.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Rebel wrote:As far as the fuel pump goes,,not any bolts to replace, just a ring seal on top of your tank which you will need to use a none metalic something to remove like a brass punch.
I just replaced the fuel pump on Green and a large snap ring is used instead of a ring seal that has to be turned. '97 through '99 all use the same fuel pump, I would assume they all use the same ring. Hopefully I can get Grumpy's fuel pump taken care of tonight to verify this.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i was actually refering to the strap bolts it's not that i don't think they'll come out i just like the looks of SS lol i doubt it will be necessary to change them but want to anyways
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Yea,,be carefull running them back in there. If I remember correctly, they go in the frame about 1/4" before hitting thread and are a tight fit so it kind of throws you off as to whether cross threaded or not. You can ask how I know that but think you may have already guessed. ](*,)
Was swapping tanks so much for different mods I changed my steel straps out to nylon quick release with safety locks. Can now remove S-10 tank in about 5 min.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

Check my info on the jam nuts and other stuff.....
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1764&p=18709&hilit=cam#p18709
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

What I do is apply anti-seize compound on the threads after chasing them with a metric tap. I don't know the bolt size though.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy