Ugggh

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Ugggh

Post by Jboy2 »

Well about 2 weeks ago all my brake lines burst.
And now i find that 1 fitting at the anti-lock brake module is stripped.
My friends dad who is a mechanic said just use compression fitting where the lines are still good. I myself perfer to redo the whole line for peice of mind.
Is there anyway you guys know how to get it off?

(Thanks to 91AWDAstro for the picture :D )
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

Topic author
Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Re: Ugggh

Post by Jboy2 »

Well for now i am just gonna put on some compression fittings since this van isn't a daily driver (Since i dont have my G2) and i dont want the van to get towed since i cant move it.

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Just a general question sort of related. I was under my wife's vehicle and saw that the brake lines are pretty rusted. They look pretty good up front and at the back, but as they run from front to back underneath they are looking pretty bad. Could compression fittings be used to splice in a new piece of brake line between the front and the back? Would I need to flare the ends? I ask because I am not familiar with compression fittings at all.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Rileysowner wrote:Just a general question sort of related. I was under my wife's vehicle and saw that the brake lines are pretty rusted. They look pretty good up front and at the back, but as they run from front to back underneath they are looking pretty bad. Could compression fittings be used to splice in a new piece of brake line between the front and the back? Would I need to flare the ends? I ask because I am not familiar with compression fittings at all.
Exact thing with my astro, the lines look good up front and then start getting worse in the back. i know alot of people who have repaired there car with compression fittings and they are still working after many years of use. The type of compression fittings i get is one with the sleeves that create a tight seal without needing to flare.

mikedamech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mikedamech »

NO, You must use double flare fittings on brake lines. No stainless or copper. If you get into an accident a good lawyer will have your A$$.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

mikedamech wrote:NO, You must use double flare fittings on brake lines. No stainless or copper. If you get into an accident a good lawyer will have your A$$.
I understood this to be the case as well. I have used compression fittings before with no problems, but I also didn't keep the car long afterwards. When I was purchasing the compression fittings, I was informed by several customers in line that the compression fittions were not approved for D.O.T use on brake lines.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Topic author
Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

mikedamech wrote:NO, You must use double flare fittings on brake lines. No stainless or copper. If you get into an accident a good lawyer will have your A$$.
I do know that there not approved, but if you have also read what my 2nd post it explains that im just doing this so i can move the van so it doesnt get towed, this van will not leave the parking lot until i get all the lines redone as i had planned before.

coolen
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by coolen »

what i've done in the past is cut the line, then use a socket. if you hold your mouth the right way it should work. good luck!!
95 safari AWD
94 astro, just itchin' for a V8!!

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

I have read your second post.Now I know this is coming from me who just towed home 420 miles with no brakes or very little brakes.In hind site,my best suggestion to you is to have the van towed to a safe place.If I had had a crash,I for sure would have loss everything I own,if not been in jail.It just isn't worth the risk.

Take care,

Gar
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.