RS w/OEM LS1?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
Water Boy
I sleep in my van

RS w/OEM LS1?

Post by Water Boy »

I saw this response over on another site.
Quite...
GM tested several V8 Astros over the years including one RS with an LT1
Quote...

I asked for more info.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

safariobsession
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: RS w/OEM LS1?

Post by safariobsession »

Anything more on this?
Van sold April 2009 -->

Image Image

Current Mods:

Diamond-Cut Headlights.......................Clear Corners.....
Gloss Black Wheels......P235/70-15 Firehawk Indy 500 tires
Pioneer CD/MP3 Player.....800W Legacy Amp.....Two 10" Sonys
Dynomax Super Turbo......SunPro Tach......GMC Truck Badged
Heated/Cooled Center Console......750 Watt Inverter with Custom 120V outlet

zook94
I get chills without my van.

Post by zook94 »

I'm pretty sure that if it happened, we would have heard of it by now, or seen pictures. The press is pretty thorogh at digging up all the dirt on concept packages, including a LT1 equipped 2005 Impala. Seems like a menial thing, but GM engineers were all over the car with a wet shirt, talking to the builder and prying specs about the swap. Just like the V8 Solstice conversions. They even built a transmission for FWD with a SBC bolt pattern just for testing purposes.
http://www.misfitoffroad.com

'93 EXT 2wd 5.0 (for now)

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

zook94 wrote:I'm pretty sure that if it happened, we would have heard of it by now, or seen pictures. The press is pretty thorogh at digging up all the dirt on concept packages, including a LT1 equipped 2005 Impala. Seems like a menial thing, but GM engineers were all over the car with a wet shirt, talking to the builder and prying specs about the swap. Just like the V8 Solstice conversions. They even built a transmission for FWD with a SBC bolt pattern just for testing purposes.
I'm having troubles determining it from your post.... you do know the 5.3L V-8 has been available in the Impalla now for a couple of years, right? :whistle:

(In fact, I wouldn't mind having one...)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

zook94

Post by zook94 »

mdmead wrote:
zook94 wrote:I'm pretty sure that if it happened, we would have heard of it by now, or seen pictures. The press is pretty thorogh at digging up all the dirt on concept packages, including a LT1 equipped 2005 Impala. Seems like a menial thing, but GM engineers were all over the car with a wet shirt, talking to the builder and prying specs about the swap. Just like the V8 Solstice conversions. They even built a transmission for FWD with a SBC bolt pattern just for testing purposes.
I'm having troubles determining it from your post.... you do know the 5.3L V-8 has been available in the Impalla now for a couple of years, right? :whistle:

(In fact, I wouldn't mind having one...)
Yep, I am aware of that, but in the early days, when Fiero guys were looking to stuff more power under the hoods, they came up with conventional V8 bellhousing adapters. From that concept, some bored fool put a 6.0 into an Impala, and hit the car show circuit with it. It was then drooled and slobbered all over by GM designers, and cars like the new GTO and the 5.3 Impala were the result. The point was, that there are not any anomalies in the automotive world that aren't at least rumored heavily, and in all my years I have never heard of a factory built V8 Astro. Anyone else?

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

They did make a few for test purposes ( one of the members on A.S who worked for GM already confirmed this) but they were never offered for sale to the public,now whether they went to the crusher or an exec got ahold of one who knows,but you could not order one from the factory.

zook94

Post by zook94 »

GM stopped crushing their test bed vehicles in the late 80's. Their test platform vehicles which were built for reliability/feasibility were beat to crap at the GM proving grounds here in Michigan. A local salvage yard had contract to buy all of the scrap components when they were done with them. His yard is predominantly filled with front halves of GM vehicles, with oddball drivetrains, and some that were just plain worn out. GM goes to the trouble of buying back vehicles that they assembled 10 years ago, and runs the crap out of them at the proving grounds all over again, to see how they fair.

My point is, that when GM is done with vehicles that they don't want publicized, they take a huge band saw and cut the vehicle apart, leaving the drivetrain intact, but removing the VIN and all frame markings. I have bought a few of these myself whole, for drop in cradle engine/transmission transplants.

I'm not saying they didn't build one, but ONE confirmation is a slim chance. I also frequent the Fiero boards, and when they rumor about the factory V8 equipped GT, factory power steering, and a 1989 model prototype, there are pictures, and multiple individuals who have actually eyeballed the questionable assemblies. I would think that for as long as people have been stuffing V8's into Astro vans, at least one picture of confirmation would exist.

Again, I am not saying it is not true. My first experience with a V8 Astro was in 1985, when I assisted in transplanting a 350 from a brand new totalled Silverado pickup with 400 miles into his replacement vehicle. A brand new '85 conversion by Debut coach with fancy captains chairs, and an electric rear bench/bed, and a tall roof.