I messed up!

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
superglide57
I am merely driving my van

I messed up!

Post by superglide57 »

First let me say I did this before I found this site. When I first got my van last month I noticed that it bounced up and down a bit to much in the front. So figuring that just about any new shock had to be better than a worn out one I bought some cheep shocks at the parts store. Well ,big mistake! The new front shocks were a little smaller diameter than the old ones, the rear were about the same. The old rear were blown so the back is a little better now, but the old front shocks seemed to still be fairly stout, but I changed them anyway. It still bounces way to much. Now I dont mind paying for good ones, but these vans being as nose heavy as they are, do the good shocks STOP the overbounce completely? Thanks,Tony

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Re: I messed up!

Post by blk lt awd »

short answer is yes......i personally run the KYB's and they're great......i know some of the factory height vans are running bilsteins and those guys swear by them....
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Tony, it helps if we know what year van you have :poke:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I've got the Bilsteins on my Astro and KYB Monomax on one of my jeeps. I like them both. The KYB's are a little more affordable.
I tried Monroe Sensatracs on the van, they just weren't up to the job. I didn't even wear them out before I got the Bilsteins.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
superglide57

Post by superglide57 »

Sorry guys, I have a 1995 astro.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Get the white Gas-adjust KYB`s, for a nice firm but comfortable ride.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Get the KYB monomax if you want your Astro to ride like a rock crusher. Worst mistake I've made in some time!!! The good news is, even with the LS1, no one wants to ride in it any more so when we go someplace, other peoples equipment gets worn out and not mine.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

What do people think of the KYB GR-2 shocks?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

The interesting thing regarding opinions about shocks is that the beauty resides in the beholder's eyes. I've got HD Bilsteins and I don't think they ride that hard. The KYB monomaxs on my jeep feel softer to me. Had one of my buds in the van for the first time today, we hit a turn hard on wet pavement and he started to freak, but was impressed with the vans handling after we didn't skid and check the curb. IMHO if you want the van to handle as good as it's going to get, get butch shocks. If you want a soft smooth ride, get softer shocks and don't complain about how it handles in the turns and the 18 wheelers blow you into the next lane.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

kings-x59 wrote:If you want a soft smooth ride, get softer shocks and don't complain about how it handles in the turns and the 18 wheelers blow you into the next lane.

A few of us can testify to that statement!!! :p
I am riding on Rancho 5000s firm and good. I good off road and it works like a charm. In the city if I just run over speed bumps the shocks just absorb them like nothing! But if I roll over them the vehicle is well supported and we ride the bumps. So I would say they are good shocks!!!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"